Anyone wants to make money by soldering?

Bah !

Soldering stuff that big is easy.

Get some really fine solder and an eensy bitsy tip. No trouble at all.

The trick is first to 'anchor' the device at opposite corners btw, check pad alignment ( reposition as needed ) and then solder all the other pins.

Shorts/bridges can be removed after with soder wick. And I *do* mean Soder Wick. No other brand comes close IMHO.

You can also do a manual reflow with solder paste but I eventually concluded that solder wire is easier. Also, solder paste 'goes off'- expensively !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

IME, M.G. Chemicals Super Wick is good, Chemtronics Chem-Wik is total crap.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I think you can do it with a moderately big tip and some thin solder. Just use some liquid flux. Does the adaptor have a solder mask on it? If so, so much the better.

I don't live anywhere near the windy city, although my city (San Francisco) is pretty windy sometimes, too!

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Yes, it does. Come to think of it, with solder mask, all I need is to aply the flux. No extra solder is necessary. Right?

Ignoramus29878

You see, I do not want to ruin these chips, they are hard to get and I got them for free.

Ignoramus29878

I have some SSOP-24 chips that I need to solder to DIP adaptor.

I am in Chicagoland. If someone wants to make a quick buck, let me know. It would be cheaper for me to pay a little bit rather than buy a tiny soldering device, solder, microscope etc.

Ignoramus29878

Well, do what you want.

Maybe you could practice on some other SSOP's?

Solder mask is something (epoxy, I think) that covers the areas of the board in the places where solder is NOT supposed to go. It helps prevent solder bridges from forming between pads.

The pads themselves will also probably be tinned with solder. Probably this is not enough to do the soldering. You will have to add a little bit more solder for the part to make a good connection.

Also, you probably don't need a microscope. You could use a small magnifier or loop (spelling?) or some similar thing. You'll have to rig something up to hold it in place while you work with both hands.

Think of it as an adventure.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

I often feel the same way. Freebies are precious well out proportion to the real value. :) I'm still saving the special, jewel cased 2x DVD-Rs that came with the writer for something important, something of lasting value. Burned a lot of coasters with the cheapie 4x discs that later flooded the market.

There are a few tutorials on the web, some of them linked from messages here. Even after reading them and feeling all empowered, you still need a temp controlled iron do the job safely. Not sure where you stand with that, and TIG welding them certainly won't do.

Reply to
Mike Young

If you are uncomfortable performing the work yourself, perhaps you could contact a local company that manufacturs PCBs. They would have the equipment and someone with the necessary skills.

Reply to
Noway2

Yes, and there are lots of PCB houses in the Chicago area. Just look in the back of any electronics magazine.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Unlikely actually.

PCB fabricators are simply good at pcb fabricating.

No-one asks them to be good at soldering too. Nor do they have any need to be.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It really is easy to do and you should try, but here is an offer anyway. This is assuming a few is 2 or 3.

I was going to contact you by email, but yours is fake, so I will post. I would be happy to do it for you for $25. I can get it back in the mail the day after I recieve it. My email is real. You can see some of my work at

Darrell Harmon

dlharmon

Hello,

If I have to solder stuff like that while debugging a prototype I just use the regular Weller iron with an ETS probe, very fine solder and #3 glasses. When it gets to half that pitch I sometimes use a separate magnifier as well. The ETS tip will set you back about $5, the magnifier glasses were even less ;-)

Oh, and easy on the coffee before doing fine pitch soldering...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I didn't mean a company that makes the raw PCB, I was refering to contract manufacturers that assemble and populate PCBs. These companies should have a fairly nice set of inspection and hand rework tools that would make a job like this simple.

Reply to
Noway2

The shop I've used does it all, from layout to population. I prefer one-stop shopping. It's easier. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Why not just TIG weld them on?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Good luck, robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Haha. Kind of tangentially, I spent quite a while tig welding today. It is an awesome welding method. It creates nice looking welds. It can weld small things, small things to big things, all kinds of metals, etc.

Here are some samples of today's corner welds.

Here are some butt welds from yesterday

Ignoramus4371