Anyone using a Welec W20xxA DSO?

What's "Schadenfreude?"

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, but I completely lost you at the first sentence... The Welec has

16 ADCs to make 4 channels. They probably use the FPGA's internal PLL to make 4 phase shifted clocks (very common in an FPGA).
                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

I don't think there's a literal translation. Maybe "being spiteful". It's when something bad happens to another person or organization (whom or which you may not like in the first place) and then you are somewhat happy that it happened to him. Very common in "See, told ya so" situations ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They have 16 ADCs in there? Wow! Now I slowly begin to understand the circumstances behind the bankruptcy ;-)

Phase-shifted clocks via FPGA can be ok for a scope but not if things have to be super-precise. In my apps they usually have to so we auto-tune the clocks to within tens of picoseconds from each other which also mollifies aperture delay tolerances. Then, the offset needs to be auto-cal'd out and if you want to be extra good also any gain tolerances. Not doing this can screw up the FFT to some extent.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

dict.leo.org says: malicious joy.

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Yes, that would be quite correct but it's a two-word description, not a noun.

BTW, in American the word "Schadenfreude" is used just like it is written in German. A lot of times in newspaper articles where it is expected that the average reader simply knows what it means.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Indeed. For GHz sampling you can only tolerate a few ps jitter. I doubt the PLLs in the FPGAs are that good.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Thats probably because English doesn't allow to stick two words together to form a new word.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

I was going to put a very clever paragraph into my newspost with counterexamples that everyone could download, but rather than overdo it I guess I'll let brevity trump cleverness.

Wikipedia:Basic_English_compound_wordlist

Frank Mckenney

-- The artistic temperament is a disease that afflicts amateurs. It is a disease which arises from men not having sufficient power of expression to utter and get rid of the element of art in their being. ... The great tragedy of the artistic temperament is that it cannot produce any art. -- G.K. Chesterton: On the Wit of Whistler (1905)

-- Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt cahm (y'all)

Reply to
Frnak McKenney

It does, but only after a few decades of pondering. Example: Data sheet became datasheet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

YMMD

Reply to
Falk Willberg

...often with hyphenated-words in the interim.

Reply to
krw

But the "wordlist" doesn't list 'wordlist'! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But my netlist always renders a complete list of nets :-)

And that word ain't even on there ...