Anyone still using FAX?

[snip]

The odd bit is that the library system in question seems to work just fine at all of their other sites. The one place it appears to be hiccuping is where the city has an organized crime problem. Its true that the admin is probably inept (or was told to leave this problem alone, if he doesn't want to wake up with horse parts in his bed). But if it was just buggy, I'd expect problems in other parts of their system.

Don\'t anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I had the impression that ther was a Federal law agains spam FAXes (one of the CFRs).

Reply to
Robert Baer

There is, but it's not enforced.

The FCC/FTC finally got Fax.com with a huge find (several $million), but the slimey bastards slithered away and reappeared as various similar companies.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to

Whats a fax? I remember when the post used to be delivered by a man on a pushbike.

Reply to
The Real Andy

gone

talk

YourISP.Com

option

However, web space provider often charge a lot extra for secure site features. IOW they make you buy a larger business package.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You should check out e-Fax. Receiving faxes is free. If you want to send faxes there is a monthly charge.

Good Luck!

Ron

Reply to
Ronald O'Leary

Yep. I remember that, too.

Also the milkman had a horse-drawn cart. The milkman (when I was a kid in WV) ran up and down the steps to the houses, while the horse sauntered along keeping _exact_ pace with need for a refill.

Now they're talking no (USPS) mail delivery on Saturday.

I say sell the USPS to private industry.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Forgot to mention... this really happened...

My family knew the milkman and his wife quite well, and often attended Christmas parties, etc, at their house.

At one of the Christmas parties the milkman announced he was divorcing his wife and marrying a woman on his milk route ;-)

...Jim Thompson

There's so much variation in the price of web hosting these days that I suspect that with a little shopping around you can find providers offering sufficient control/security for the same price as what many charge for "bare bones" hosting.

Hostmonster.Com (

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Mine jumps to $20/month if you want SSL but it includes the SSL certificate which otherwise runs about $250 year, AFAIK.

They won't give you an SSL cert for free :-)

I don't know how slow a transfer over https would become for huge files (I get a lot of those).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Would the milkman only come err.. deliver.. on weekdays?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I don't remember now what the schedule was... I'm talking 55 years ago.

I'm sure he only made certain "inside deliveries" per a schedule ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Well, sure, he'd have to have a schedule. He'd only have so much milk, after all.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

[snicker:-]

...Jim Thompson

unless your net connection is 100Mbit or faster, and your drives can keep up you probably won't notice a slowdown, only slightly higher CPU load.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Our milkman had a real truck, gasoline rather than horses.

He used to come into the kitchen and fill up our fridge. I left for college in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure he was doing that at least up until then.

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer\'s.  I hate spam.
Reply to
Hal Murray

The main problem with https is that each domain needs a separate IP address.

Reply to
Nobody

Not by much, though.

E.g. tcpflow (a lightly-modified version of tcpdump) will monitor a network interfase, re-assemble TCP streams, and save each stream as a separate file. From there, it's a few lines of Perl (etc) to extract email messages from SMTP connections, then metamail can extract attachments.

None of these processes are particularly CPU intensive; a "junk" PC could comfortably decode an entire 100Mbps link.

Reply to
Nobody

Huntington eventually went to trucks, you know, the standard stand up driver type.

Delivery was SLOWER than by horse :-(

...Jim Thompson

I just tried a search, got everywhere from free to $400/year on the first page of results. Bottom line; it is your security, buy what makes you comfortable.

Reply to
JosephKK