Any technical reason not to use isolation transformer to make DC?

Works fine for me:

You see here a project powered by a 0.5kVA control transformer, using a meagre 320VDC of it (it has 2 x 240V primary windings, so I could get 640V or so if I needed it).

The 2kVA transformer is under the bench. ;-)

(And thus begins a My Transformer is Bigger Than Yours contest .....GO!)

Tim

Tim Williams

One is made from iron and copper; the other is made from copper and iron. I forget which is which.

John

Here's our pick-and-place for one little transformer:

ftp://66.117.156.8/PP5.JPG

John

"Fred Bloggs"

** ROTFLMAO !!!

WHAT ABSOLUTE CRAPOLOGY !!

** Funny how Iso transformers are used with rectifier/capacitor loads

ALL THE TIME !!

That is why most are bought by techs, so they can work on the live parts of SMPS.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Normally the design is optimum when copper and core loss are the same. Since the copper and core loss are frequency dependent in a very nonlinear way, it would be obvious to all but the most dimwitted that the rectifier transformer going for a typically high crest factor load would be different...The rectifier transformer can handle the isolation transformer VA but not vice versa, the isolation transformer must be derated.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

The value of your observations is nil...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That brings up the question, what loads are isolation transformers optimized for? Wouldn't transformerless line-operated equipment be one of their biggest targets?

I think it would be an interesting experiment to run an isolation transformer at its rated VA into a resistive load, measure the temperature after some hours, then run the transformer into a rectifier/filter combination and load that DC voltage down to an equivalent VA rating, taking into account the published derating multiplier (0.87 for ful-wave bridge and capacitor input filter) and check the temperature in that use. I think I'll round up the parts and give that a try.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Silva

The transformer can take a lot of abuse. I think the DC available for the rectifier filter under load will be lower for the isolation than the rectifier transformer by a few percent.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"Mike Silva"

That brings up the question, what loads are isolation transformers optimized for? Wouldn't transformerless line-operated equipment be one of their biggest targets?

** Of course, the Bloggs imbecile is fabricating a total nonsense.

Either ignore him or laugh at him.

Never take him one bit seriously !!

Isolation transformers are simply a sub-set of normal AC power ransformers - made exactly the same way by the same makers.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA.....