any of you guys remember this?

idea

Hard to read that schematic/wiring diagram, looks like he has clamp diodes all over the place, and that archaic GAS100 that somehow regulates quiescent currents in all those complimentary drives. Also hard to believe the THD specs with so little NFB, looks more like local degeneration.all over the place.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Years ago I had an ear for sound and I found that unit to work very nicely, much better than one would expect.

It took me a while to construct the initial unit because at that time money was an object so I gather the parts needed over a year or so period.

When done, I think some of the components I ended up using was actually higher grade that what was listed. I know the transformer that I used was actually higher rated than what was in the article.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

.

idea

.

I see in the article they say it has 65 lb shipping weight if you order their kit-LOL- that is something else. So what did you substitute for the GAS100? From what I saw in some forums it is just a Motorola quad transistor array, but the article says it is 5x opamps.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Hmm It's been for too long, I would have to unpack it to find out what I used. I know that I modified it after my father decided he was done using it. I was able to get my hands on some retired servo drive heat sinks with high current and good voltage ratings all populated with transistors inplace for nothing, that was used in helicopters!

These sinks were a little longer than the unit and just a little higher. I attached one unit on each side and ran the wires over to them from the boards. Had to do a little circuit value changes to make them work correctly but it all came out. I then added a liquid passive channel to the sinks to help extract heat, that was a add on kit.

I later on made a inverter unit so I could operate that from my Van, that is when things started to get expensive. Batteries, new alternators etc. I no longer have the inverter but still the amp :)

The inverter was near 100 ibs in weight. All low freq electronics :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie