Anti vibration grommets

This looks like a good company. I wish they had that stuff at Digikey.

The silicone mounts for the hard drives do wonders. Incidentally, the fans used by Antec in their silent PC are pretty low quality in terms of how well they are sealed. I've replaced a few after 4 years of duty. The 3 level speed control they use is good. I can run them on low and not have any overheating problems. The Silent PC case is damped a bit. Of course, it is not silent, but it is a vast improvement over a stock PC case.

If you want a quiet PC CPU fan, go for the Zalman all copper units.

Reply to
miso

McMaster-Carr is the go-to place for this kind of thing. They do carry electronics-related as well (good price on Kapton tape) but have tons of mechanical piece parts. Not always the cheapest but reputable and good stock depth.

Search on "vibration mounts" and start there.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Hobby Lobby stocks it at the local store. It is a large national chain.

Michael A. Terrell

That always makes me think of the old boss. He said the MCS website was so much better at ordering than McMaster Carr. i'm sure he was right for what he was doing, but I never truely compared the two.

greg

Reply to
GregS

MSC MSC MSC

greg

Reply to
GregS

Anyone know of a good place to find hobby sizes of 1/2" aluminum angle, or channel? I need four ~12" pieces to mount a router lift in a table. Lowes here didn't have anything that small (the 1/2" part).

But don't go on Sunday. It's run by those nasty Christians who believe their employees should spend time with their families. ;-)

Reply to
krw

For

Of course, craft stores are the place to look.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

It's not just grommets, it's the overall mass/compliance ratio. You need enough mass on the "tube (PCB) side" of the compliance so that it does not move much in "inertial space" when the other side of the compliance is "bumped". PCB's tend to be a bit light so I'd add some mass, then use the softest "grommet suspension" confguration you can find that will still hold up the now heavier PCB assy. The "on edge" grommet idea looks good to me. Cheers. Roger

Reply to
Engineer

If you are in the valley, the Aluminum Rem Center is a good source.

miso

Nope. No valley here. Other side of the country - sorta.

Reply to
krw

You want a natural resonance of a few Hz only. In other words, the board should move when you blow on it.

2-3 Hz is good.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I am assuming the acoustical path to the board is under control.

greg

Reply to
GregS

McMaster-Carr? Their website is unresponsive at the moment, but they've got at least one of _everything_! However, they're not shy about their prices; it's like the convenience store for industrial crap that you need RIGHT NOW. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

little globs of silcone rubber work well, sort of a "molded in place" shock mount.

Reply to
fryzz

The big industrial suppliers (McMaster-Carr, Grangier and MSC) appear to have everything including good service (well, perhaps it varies between them but I haven't ordered enough to know), but there's also Small Parts that would have items like this, perhaps not at as low prices as the others, but maybe there's something to merit their mention (I've ordered from Small Parts a few times and got good service):

Ben Bradley

Ah yes ... Thanks. I've ordered from them in the (rather distant) past but their bookmark didn't make the transition over to the new box and I'd forgotten about them. Thanks for the reminder!

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Other people have mentioned McMaster-Carr, which is where I get it when I need it. I don't know if they ship outside the US though. They sell it in various hardnesses; get the softer ones.

Also be aware when using Sorbothane that it is naturally tacky. If it is clamped between two pieces, over time it will tend to stick VERY hard to both of them. You need to cover one side with some paper or other plastic if you wish to prevent it from "bonding".

Sorbothane does dampen a lot better than any other kind I've read of.

One thing it is used for is for vibration-dampening feet under amateur telescopes--(this is the reason I ended up with some of it)--and in this use, you can actually SEE how much better it works compared to other rubbers, by how long the view vibrates after the telescope is lightly tapped. ....These pads are fairly expensive, so people try to make them out of whatever other kinds of foam rubber they happen to find--and the result is always worse. They often don't KNOW that until they can compare their home-made pads with the real ones side-by-side, but other rubbers like plain silicone sealant, pipe insulation, latex foam, ect ect have hardly any noticeable effect at all. Sorbothane telescope foot pads will cut the "vibration time" about in half, which doesn't sound like much--but in reality is far better than any kind of other material will. ~

Reply to
DougC