Another 3D printed marvel

This is a cool use of a 3D printer!

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Clock-making gone mad. Cool, but pointless.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Bill Sloman snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Most folks who get 3D printers are just toying with them anyway if they are not doing the engineering. Playing back someone else's build file is different than doing one's own designs.

So sure it is pointless, unless it is an exercise in using the tool to become familiar with it. Fits and tolerances and such.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It's good practice and learning experience and something to show off if nothing else...

We have about 4 3D printers at work in engineering and they have paid for themselves many times over in the past few years. Very handy indeed before ordering real parts or sometimes, for certain real engineering prototype stuff.

!
Reply to
boB

Yes, I see you get it.

Reply to
Rick C

The 3D tourbillon is the pinnacle of mechanical manufacturing. As a clock mechanism, it is immune to accumulated motion upsetting its time-keeping, because it continuously changes the orientation of its escapement.

They were the pride (arrogance?) of the entire history of Swiss watch making, until a Chinese company started making them a few years ago:

A 3D-printed tourbillon is a useful demonstration of how they are built. It won't keep good time, but that's not the point.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

My partner will dust it. Maybe !

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote:

Reply to
SpeedBrake

Clifford Heath snipped-for-privacy@please.net wrote in news:167df30f549ddc22$1$1356503$ snipped-for-privacy@news.thecubenet.com:

The 3D version's time accusracy is a functoion of the spring tension and the escapement freedom of movement. I'd bet that you would be quite surprised at just how accurate it is. Probably less than a second a day. without 'jewels'.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

SpeedBrake snipped-for-privacy@SB.com wrote in news:s7e7qb$3hh$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

You are mumbling. Quite unclear just what the f*ck you are saying.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Or it could be YOU are simply too DUMB to understand it. Yeah, I think that's the more likely explanation.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Fuck you, you retarded piece of shit.

No, you do not. You demonstrate that fact every time you make another one of your retarded posts.

No. It is more likely that he is stupid, like you.

More proof that you are an abject idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rubbish. "Very good" movements are seldom better than a couple of minutes a week, and they're less affected by thermals than this plastic thing could be.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Clifford Heath snipped-for-privacy@please.net wrote in news:167e31d68625495f$1$1356503$ snipped-for-privacy@news.thecubenet.com:

Bullshit. There are mechanical watch movements far more accurate than your numbers. Your numbers are what is rubbish.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

My, my. Really got your dander up with my new .sig by the look of it. When the Chinks get hold of your internet (which can't come soon enough for those of us in the civilised parts of the world) you won't be able to just post whatever you please any more - which can only be a good thing IMO.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yeah, but a stack of hand tools is also indispensable. A PCI port cover can be modified with a drill and files, to snap in a bulkhead connector, quicker than you can find something appropriate in a catalog. Sheet metal, wire, threaded rod... and a hacksaw, files, grinder, will beat a plastic printer for lots of purposes.

Most things I need, can be made of wood or metal without a 3D CAD model, out of material other than ABS.

Reply to
whit3rd

And for the rest, a 3D printer might be the right tool for the job :-)

I mean, you can draw with pencil and paper, but you still might prefer a laser printer. A 3D printer is the same - it's just a tool, it does some jobs better than the alternatives, but others it's a bad choice. After all, you have a *stack* of hand tools, because no one tool can do all the things you need. A 3D printer just makes the stack a little bigger.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

<snip>

As if any were required.

Seems unlikely. DLUNU is American, even if Cursitor Doom is too dim to realise it.

Any part of the world that lets people like Cursitor Doom ran around on the loose is clearly uncivilised. Civilised countries have lunatic asylums for people like him - to protect them (and other people) from the consequences of their lunatic delusions.

Cursitor Doom won't actually tell us what country has offered him refuge - presumably Interpol would like to know - but wherever it is, it can't qualify as civilised.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

DJ Delorie snipped-for-privacy@delorie.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@delorie.com:

+1