Anodizing

I've had some good luck anodizing 5052-H32 Aluminum using drano as a cleaner, battery acid as an electrolyte, and rit as a color dye.

I'd prefer to use muriatic acid (26% HCl) as the electrolyte. Has anybody tried it or have a reason that it wouldn't work as well?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

^===============================

=========================================^ ^==============

================^

Also even if you manage to anodize, wash and seal it, trace Cl- ions in the pores of the oxide layer will cause fairly rapid corrosion in service. Google: aluminum chloride corrosion

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

RST Engineering schrieb:

Hello,

read this

"The most widely used bath is dilute sulfuric acid, typically about 1 molar or 10 weight percent concentration. Other baths used for particular applications are made with oxalic acid or phosphoric acid."

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

'Drano' is a brand name of drain cleaners, the most common variant of which is largely NaOH (lye). It is very much incompatible with aluminum. Muriatic acid is just as bad.

I think sulfuric acid is the usual anodizing medium for aluminum.

Reply to
whit3rd