Seen Some Good PCB Training Video's?

I dunno if I'm using my PCB program in the best manner.

I looking to pick up on some new techniques or learn some new features for making PCB's.

Anybody come across some interesting (free) training video's or tutorials on the net for pcb drafting?

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

If you're gonna write video's, why didn't you also write tutorial's?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I'm not planning on making pcb training video's...I want to watch'm...It's something to see during a coffee break..

I might create a video capture of myself doing a circuit board.. Then post a link on here and wait for comments..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I was referring to why you pluralized with an apostrophe in one case, but not the other... An apostrophe is not some random character, after all. You never see people put exclamation marks or periods in the middle of w,ords for examp.le So why abuse the apostroph?e Se!e In the vast majority of cases, you pluralize with an s, that's all. The s doesn't need protection from the other letters, it'll be fine. Just in case, possessives are already possessive, so they don't need an apostrophe. Hers, not her's, for example. No one ever wrote hi's, or at least I hope not.

Anyways, what you're asking for is almost impossible to do. You either "get it" or you don't. You just have to do it, make mistakes, get better, lather, rinse, repeat. There are just so many permutations any video would likely be at such a basic level it wouldn't be worthwile.

If you learn to drive, maybe there's some basic video out there for that, but after that, you must *do it*.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

One of my writing quirks.. But will try to fix the 's problem.. Could be from the lead solder. :(

Actually, I've never sat and watched someone draft a pcb.. I'm sure there could be something to learn from a video. I'm also curious as to how boring it could be too :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

I'm just bored, snowed in actually.

You wouldn't learn much. Most of my approach to PCB is in my head, I do some analysis in my head while I appear to be reading cartoons for days. I've actually already narrowed down to a few approaches before I start. The secret is in knowing which options to discard and why. You have to learn that yourself.

We could set up a web conference next time I fire up Allegro at work. Would you sign an NDA? :)

It can be excruciatingly boring, yes. But so are many jobs. It's fun when I create footprints for 1020 pin FPGAs because it's repetitive. It's done in a few minutes but it sounds impressive. I like drafting complex mechanical drawings free-hand and see how close I can get to the datasheet. (remember how I said the PCB world is stuck in the 70s, I can't just copy and paste things I see in a PDF into a footprint, although I should be able to.) Sometimes I enjoy making logos, like for HDMI. The HDMI folks let you download their logo but I can't do anything with it. So I drew one free hand, with exposed solder mask so it came out gold plated.

I guess I'm at the point where I get a bigger jolly out of a good silkscreen job than the electrical performance... I just assume my stuff always works electrically. :) (Except a certain rgbi to vga converter. oops)

But you might have a point, there is so much more to a PCB than just the electrical connections, how about a tutorial about all the other, often overlooked, aspects of PCB? Netlist files, drill files, soldermask openings and registration, silkscreen, paste stencils, assembly drawings, etc.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

A PCB video won't be popular on Youtube but I'd watch it.

A time lapse video would be cool if real time is too boring. :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

You know, the more I think about it, the more I like it. There is a need for more information on how PCBs, (more correctly PWBs) are dreamt up. And if I understand you correctly, you want to know what drives certain design decisions like ground planes, power planes, decoupling cap placement, etc?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I'm interested on how people are using pcb programs. Such as: clearance settings adjusting track width part positioning tools part alignment tools grid setting using automatic features tricks styles shortcuts.. Just the operation of the software.

I'd also watch a video of someone commenting on all the pcb decisions while making a circuit board. That would be interesting and is more like electronics.

I've been tempted to try a video capture of the pcb I'm working on now.. But don't know if there's enough interest on here.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

TI has a PDF that shows PCB basics: