CD4093

Could I accomplish the same thing as the CD4093 IC if I used 4 single NAND gates? In other words, if this chip is just 4 NAND gates, why does it need to be connected to power and ground?

Reply to
pata

A 4093 has schmitt trigger inputs, which makes it different from an average nand gate. If it's specified, or there is a need for a schmitt trigger input, then the results will suffer or not work at all if you use something without schmitt trigger inputs.

You also will have a hard time finding single nand gates. Oh, I gather there may be some, but generally you'll need more than one so it makes little sense to only put one in a package, the cost of adding the other three will likely be less than the cost of the packaging.

I don't know where you're going with the power bit. Any gate will need power.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

-------------- All chips need to be powered, they can't 'just be gates' it's not possible, all gates are powered switches.

-Steve

--
-Steve Walz  rstevew@armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!