Analogue Scopes are Better

Modern scopes don't have a lot of parts.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah, I've seen factory setups with a 'scope displaying a full test suite, two seconds per test, and all the tech needs to do is glance at the screen for a moment, and he can go straight to the right adjustment...

But, I've also had an irregular strobe to capture, that completely failed to give a useful indication on a digital scope; at least an analog display blinks brighter for a moment when the trigger occurs. I couldn't tell from the digital display WHEN the strobe occurred; it didn't replicate that simple function of a logic probe.

Digital scopes can eradicate the timely display feature. That's sometimes good (capture a past moment), and sometimes bad (can't easily determine when that trace gets updated). Everything that it does for you, it also does TO you.

Reply to
whit3rd

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

-------------------------

** Persisting with the same false argument makes you look an idiot - John.

You have no point or case, just baloney.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Grin.. no it's to help keep the lab warm on cold winter days. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The 555 had to be wheeled around on a big cart, and it had a giant external power supply to help keep things cozy. Two guys could move one, but four was safer.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den tirsdag den 15. august 2017 kl. 18.05.24 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

had to get up early to stoke the fire so the boiler could build up steam pressure too? ;)

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There was a thermal delay gadget, looked like a glass tube, that let the filaments warm up for about a minute before the DC supplies turned on. Now we wait two minutes for Linux to boot up.

lunatic fringe electronics

A task which modern scopes are singularly ill-suited to.

Cursitor Doom

If I had to choose between waiting 2 minutes for a Linux box to boot or 2

*seconds* for a Windows one, I would use Linux without a second thought. In fact, even if Linux took *20* minutes I'd still not use Windows.
Cursitor Doom

What's all this talk about analog scones?

Oh? Scopes? Nevermind...

--

Rick C
Reply to

Our theatre converted from halogen-based lighting to all LED a couple of years ago. Power savings were enormous. LED instruments can do a wide range of colours, so coloured gels are a thing of the past.

Booth crew complains the booth gets cold in the winter -- the LED instruments don't put out very much heat at all.

Reply to
artie

In this country we have central heat.

Reply to
krw

Our $50K LeCroy scope runs Windows. Really, it's a giant all-in-one PC with a few ADCs in the bottom. You can run Firefox and cruise the web if nothing else is going on. It's actually pretty good, between crashes.

You can probe an NRZ or 8B10B data stream without a trigger, and it will do a software PLL thing on the acquired data to reconstruct a clock and decode the data. Great for PCI Express. Trigger-to-trace jitter is about 1 ps RMS, and there's an enhanced mode that gets down to 100 fs.

lunatic fringe electronics

What's wrong with burning old printed circuit boards in a barrel that was converted into a stove? ;-)

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Amperite Time Delay Relay. They were common in industrial systems, back when that scope was built. Some old broadcast transmitters used them to prevent you from applying the plate voltage too soon.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The boot times on those Linux devices are probably caused by sloppy programming (sleep commands in startup scripts instead of proper synchronization) and underpowered system (CPU performance, amount of memory, flash read performance). There is no good reason for a device requiring 2 minutes to boot Linux and some application. A Raspberry Pi requires much less time than that, and it is flimsy in performance.

Reply to
Rob

yeh, or something simple like timeout on no ethernet

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

My Ubuntu 10.04 takes less than 5 seconds to boot. I have done nothing special to speed it except to use SSD drives in software RAID0. Works great.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

We have an embedded app that loads a ZYNQ FPGA config and boots Linux into its ARM cores, from an SD card, in under 10 seconds. It too a little work to get than down.

lunatic fringe electronics