Analog Siganl Optocoupling

Hi,

What is the best way to isolate an bipolar analog signal from a PC based Digital to Analog converter board

  1. Analog ( AC, Linear Optocoupling)

  1. An Op- amp ( unity gain , negative feedback circuit ) using the virtual ground system. Virtual ground does offer separation of the ground systems.

My signal generator circuit is producing a arbitrary signal ( +/-

1uVolts to +/- 10mV) and I want to electrically isolate it from national intrument's DAC board ( 6071E)...

I have choosen HCNR 200 optocoupler and circuit from its data sheet. But still confused that which method is better. Any suggestions!

Thanks John

Reply to
john

john wrote in news:8a016f34-1acf-418e-a43a- snipped-for-privacy@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Not really

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

You'd have to let us know some more specs. Such as frequency range, required power level on the isolated side and so on.

Toroid transformers can be an option. AD offers Iso-Amps that have a built in isolated supply for the output buffer. For one-off projects a nice option, else a bit on the pricey side.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The HCNR-200 looks like a nice device. You've got to use negative feedback to make sure that the current coming out of the driven side photodiode matches the signal you are putting in, so the bandwidth that you can get is limited - as the other responses have mentioned, we need to know this to be able to give you useful advice.

A differential amplifier (or an instrumentation amplifier, which can often do better) doesn't allow you to separate your ground systems, but it can allow you to reference your signal to the "ground" voltage in the area where you plan to use the signal, which may well be different from the "ground" voltage you'd measure on the National Instruments DAC board (6071E).

I've not used this device, but it looks as if this capability might already be built into the DAC board.

Such amplifiers have finite bandwidths and you might want to add a balancing transformer (balun) to handle higher frequency voltage differences.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Hi,

Why an opamp's virtual gorund can not be a good electrical isolation system?

john

Reply to
john

It _can_ be reasonably useful, provided the ground potential differences are small (and not really high frequency).

Put pencil to paper with input, Vin, relative to ground, VG1, and output, Vout, relative to ground, VG2.

Then examine possible dynamic range and frequency issues.

You will find that you will learn a lot more, if you do your own math, than you will from just blindly asking questions.

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | | | | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave | | | | Due to excessive spam, googlegroups, UAR & AIOE are blocked! |

First you have to define what you mean by isolation. How many volts? What frequency range does the isolation have to work for? How many dB of isolation?

Except for low level audio work a virtual ground usually doesn't work well. Not many volts and slouches off at higher frequencies.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

john wrote in news:9b16eae3-fec5-45d0-ae69- snipped-for-privacy@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Saturate your op amp, and what happens??

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply