An unusual Oscilloscope phenomenon

A couple of times I've been up on Twin Peaks and there was a sharply defined fog layer below. Only a couple of big buildings poke through, and a few plumes from power plants and such.

Sometimes the sun gets under the fog at sunrise/sunset. Cool.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Kit1.JPG

CPU clock maybe?

John

Brings back pleasant memories. I donated my HW101 to the Boy Scouts radio club many years ago. I wish I still had my HW 16 - lots of wee hours CW with that (my first) rig.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

But it's ugly orange. ;-) I think I'll spring for the Bosch. I want to rip up some bamboo flooring and inlay a hearth in front of our fireplace. I can't figure out another way to make the cuts against the wall.

I now have seven cordless drills (will likely give one to my son). I just bought a little Bosch 12V Li-Ion to match the impact driver. 100 years ago a cordless drill was a brace and bit. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It's not only about waveforms-per-second, it's also about the capture and display engine as well. The manufactuers have various technologies (e.g. Tek Digital Phosphor) to make their digital scopes have an "analog type" display and response, and they work superbly. In fact they can be better than analog in many respects. But that performance costs money, so you have to start paying around say the $5K mark before you get a digital scope that really performs like an analog one in terms of variable display intensity, response time, and capture dead-time. See here for more info:

Lower end scopes don't have these "analog like" display technologies, so then "waveforms-per-second" is pretty much the basic benchmark. Modern scopes are pretty darn good though, and even the low end cheap ones are streets ahead of previous generation DSO's. Those who haven't used a modern high end digital scope don't know how superb they can really be.

With modern fast real-time deep memory scopes, aliasing is pretty much a thing of the past.

Might make an interesting future blog...

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

=20

=20

BTDT, different brand name adhesive. Real damn quick lesson in proper setup and jigging.

Reply to
JosephKK

oscilloscope in=20

posted=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

reel=20

when it=20

shield on the=20

as well we=20

books.

I would expect it to act much like slotted coax, a common antenna for in some applications.

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

Do what you want, but as long as my mind is working i will be creating wealth.

Reply to
JosephKK

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

to=20

the=20

=20

was=20

shield=20

kind=20

EMC=20

=20

Until some idiot grounds both ends of both shields.

Reply to
JosephKK

oscilloscope in=20

shot posted=20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

reel=20

drive when it=20

shield on the=20

best=20

shield is=20

shield

The picture resolution ain't real good, but wow that tower is big. My initial guess is that there is over 100 antennas for 2 GHz and above on that tower. Can you confirm?

Reply to
JosephKK

OK, how about "image charge" then?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Is that an Agilent 6000 series scope I see in front of you?

Reply to
The Phantom

Michael A. Terrell

Nice. Would be even nicer without the attached city :-)

Possibly. It even happens in standby power so maybe it's the SMPS in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

At least you've got the memories, that's all that really counts. I donated my HW101 to a ham in former East Germany after the wall fell. Back then they didn't have the funds to buy western quality gear. I kept the older HW100 because that has a white-knuckle supply, direct rectification and Cockroft-Walton cascade from 230VAC mains. Plug it in the wrong way ... *BAM*. He got the good set, with original power supply and the whole thing looked hardly used, almost like new. He was really happy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

in

posted

it

the

It has a lot of little stuff, but the real power - 22 megawatts I've heard - is a bunch of FM and TV stations. If I dangle a short clip lead out of my spectrum analyzer, the entire FM band is full, and one of the lines is -30 dBm. We're in a wooden building 2 miles away and can see the tower clearly out our back window.

I bet a modest tuned loop and a couple of schottky diodes could power an LED. I'll have to try it.

This is the packing crate it came in:

John

didn't

Look at the bright side: It could be worse. My Chinese meters here are bonbon-purple. Channel 3 on my DSO is bonbon-pink.

I am very impressed with the little Durafix single Li-Ion pistol-style electric screwdriver. $15. We had to build a large step box for our Rottie because he has trouble getting in and out of the car. The long deck screws were hard to turn but it muscled them in. Sure saved me a blister.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's how you make more cats...

Michael A. Terrell

That's the reason you see lots of six inch wide copper bonding straps in radio studios. They use one and a half inch straps to connect between the equipment, and the bonding straps.

Michael A. Terrell

At 10¢ on the dollar ;-)

...Jim Thompson

With all this hope and change, all you need is a dab of mayonaisse
and you\'ll have a tasty lunch on which you will choke to death.

The cordless one? Or do they have a plug-in one now?

We still used those back in industrial arts class in the mid-'80s since they didn't have enough electric drills to go around. (I imagine they'd had them for decades!)

We had pretty good instructors... of the many demos they gave, I remember one where the guy said, "You want to know the difference between this cheap Black & Decker power drill here and this much-more-expensive Milwaukee? Watch this?" -- Guy wraps his hand around the chuck on the B&D, hits the trigger with his other hand and... chuck doesn't turn, the drill just sitting them humming a bit. "Don't try this with the Milwaukee!"

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner