OT: Oh CanaDuh

From Tektronix's Sweepstakes rules....

7) Unless the sweepstakes is cancelled, during the week of September 28, 2009, one winner will be randomly drawn from all sweepstakes entries timely received. The winner will be awarded one Tektronix MSO2012, approximate retail value US$3750.00. Any Canadian resident selected in the drawing must first correctly answer a time limited mathematical skill testing question before being confirmed as a winner. The prize will be shipped to the mail address provided on the sweepstakes entry form within 30 days of being drawn.

Are they really that challenged up north?

This is pretty funny ;D

Martin Riddle

That can't be for real :-)

Got a link? Spehro must be fuming ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The 'Special Offer' link on the tek site is not working, but here the link to the rules sheet. I got the original email from the local Calibration shop.

Martin Riddle

Oh man, I can't believe it. And they also exclude Quebec. Maybe a late punishment for the separatist movement?

So people just fill out the address field and that's it? No challenging questions, like what the shoe size of the Tektronix founder was?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That about it, I filled out some information for a white paper and was entered. But the rules only exclude Quebec and unnatural people, so you should be good to go ;D

I see an older form for a AFG3102 sweepstakes on rfcafe.com

Martin Riddle

"Sir, please tell me 1 + 1 is, you have five minutes to answer".

Unfortunately, the digital guys will all say "10", leaving the scope for the analog circuit designers and/or embedded software developers (who will say "0x02").

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Yes it was on W5 or the fifth estate only the goverment is allowed to fleece us.

See this

Hammy

Probably the result of some whining Canadian. We have that down here on a myriad of things. One example is Natural gas charges. At one time there was a small fee for service in the bill. It was pooled together and used for general/emergency service. Someone complained, to the state public service commission. Now, you need a service contract to get anything (gas wise) fixed, at a greater cost.

Martin Riddle

I'm thinking there are legal issues with games of chance, ay.

I didn\'t do it. Nobody saw me do it. You can\'t prove anything.
			- Bart Simpson
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

That's nothing. Up here there's some idiot (from Quebec of course) suing a VOLUNTEER search and rescue team. Apparently it's all there fault he got lost and his wife died! Now a lot of SAR are closing down until they see if there insurances covers potential lawsuits.I've been following it in the Toronto Starridiculous.

But I guess it's okay as long as some lawyer gets his third BENZ

Hammy

Nothing strange at all... standard boiler plate for such "games of chance" up here, including the Quebec exclusion which, I think, has laws that exclude such gambling (no doubt the province wants a big cut to allow it).

When I won a bicycle from Tim Horton's a few years ago I had to answer a simple math question. They don't bother with the "skill testing question" for low value prizes.

It's nice winning a prize in Canada, as there is absolutely NO withholding (in fact no tax at all) on the winnings (except for professional gamblers). Of course when you put your $30M 649 jackpot (hahahhah) into investments, the income will likely be taxable.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I wonder how many people inside Tek that one slipped past!

Dave.

http://www.alternatezone.com/eevblog/
Reply to
David L. Jones

It is presumably to get around local legislation on unlicenced lotteries and to make it a nominal game of skill vs game of chance. There is after all still a remote chance that the lucky Canadian winner might not know the answer to 2+2= or whatever the time limited mathematical question actually is.

Someone famously managed to score nil on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" after all.

Same in the UK. Does the US tax lottery winnings?

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Obviously the time-related question would be "how many hours do you (the selected Canadian) have between your selection and the judging of confirmation?". Hint to answer: a value less than zero due to judging delays.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It is real, Canadian law...

Reply to
PeterD

Aye.

Reply to
Michael Robinson

And big time. You get taxed twice, and then some. First, a big chunk of lottery ticket payments go to state coffers, usually for school funding. Then a large chunk from any winnings is withheld. Then when you invest you pay some more taxes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

The correct answer, if you are a right winger, is II, since Arabs obviously contributed anything to science. And nothing written after the Bible was finished matters anyway.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

actually, according to:

a = 1

a = b

a² = ab

a² - b² = ab - b²

(a + b) (a - b) = b (a - b)

(a + b) (a - b) b (a - b)

--------------- = --------- (a - b) (a - b)

a + b = b

1 + 1 = 1

JF

Reply to
John Fields

If (a - b) != 0, which has already been established is not the case.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams