An old military doppler radar unit

By the way, is this a Vulcan instrument?

Same style, no sub-miniature valves tough.

Reply to
Wim Ton

No idea! It could be from a Vulcan, but the UK was also using the Valiant and Victor at the same time. Perhaps it came from one of those. It is interesting that it uses valves with bases rather than flying leads. They are from the same era, though - early 50s.

It looks "newer" inside than my unit, although I don't know how old mine is, or where it was stored since the plane it came from was scrapped.. What I do find puzzling is the wirewound 50K pot on the lower left of radar-ps2.jpg. That has a date on it of Nov 53! Maybe it had been in storage for a long time when it was used.

Maybe ask at

(you will have to register), where I am sure that someone will know where your unit came from.

--

Jeff
Reply to

I saw an upgrade for a 1984 ground-radar unit to add a cutting-edge Z-80 single-board computer. Nobody was allowed to alter all the RTL-based logic boards, or the valve amplifiers controlling the antenna servos.

Apparently when making small changes to old military electronics, the required testing paperwork can be lethal ...if the stack ever tipped over and fell on someone.

Reply to
Bill Beaty