AN: GuruGram #46 ...

.... is now available for free download as

It is on programatically xtracting text and content from Acrobat .PDF files.

Sourcecode is separately available as

Additional GuruGrams are found at

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Don Lancaster

EXTRACT1.PDF also does word frequency analysis and is easily customizable for virtually any .PDF manipulation.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics   3860 West First Street  Box 809  Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: don@tinaja.com

Don Lancaster

The only complaint I have with pdftops is that it turns spot colors (DeviceN) into process colors. When I have a document with process colors, I have to use Acrobat 5.0 (not reader) Save As Postscript.

Reply to
Ross Presser

Acrobat Pro v6.0 works for me, now (POS that it is.)

Either pdf995 or one of those free deals I got has a text extract facility, but the programs (best used to convert to ps or pdf) all suck on some features like making bookmarks and some of the other automagic sh*t I forgot about since getting Acrobat.

Should be AcroFat. It hogs as much or more mem than Orcad, Dreamweaver, etc. And stoopid! Can't even remember the last save dir once it shuts down. You can't shut the main window while a pdf is open in the browser and when you click the back button, if another pdf is open somewhere, it gives you the choice to exit Acrobat or leave it running in the browser. But sometimes it's wrong and still asks, so I leave it open to remember the save dir and so it doesn't have to load again to get the next pdf file. If I wait too long, it realizes there are no other instances and shuts itself down, forgetting everything.

Luckily Firefox "save as" *always* remembers the save dir and is

*always* able to save a pdf, unlike MSIE. It tries to save an html page.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

I've had good results with xpdf.

pdftops and pdftotext both work well.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Adobe Illustrator will WYSYWIG edit PDF documents (one page at a time). You can remove elements for use elsewhere and so on. Very useful. More indirectly, but cheaper, you can print a PDF to PS, and using (free) Ghostscript you can convert PS it to Adobe Illustrator (.ai) format (ps2ai.bat), and then WYSYWIG edit it with Mayura Draw (free trial and $39 to register).

But it gives errors when Acrobat reader exits about half the time (Acrobat 5 anyway), and *sometimes* can't handle large PDFs properly inside a browser window, and sometimes you just have to kill Acrobat from the task manager and restart it. Not pleasant. Is 6.0 any better in that regard? Do I have to add another half-gigabyte of RAM to run it?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

6.0 takes "forever" to start up in the browser or alone. In the browser, you can't do anything while that's happening and the first page loads. Accidentally scroll beyond what's loaded and you'll wait forever for just a screen refresh 'til it's done and the browser is useless in the mean time. I sometimes have 20 tabs open in one Firefox and others running too. I haven't had a too large prob, AFAIK.

Same old sh*t, different day.

I'm running on 256 MB - I'm overdue for another stick or 3. RamPage helps free up mem. Right now I'm down to 25 MB with Acrobat open in a browser with 20 tabs, one other instance of Firefox, Dialog news reader, Hamster NNTP server, UltraEdit with a gazillion files open, Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise - another gazillion files, Explorer, PerfMon, ... that's it. PGPTray, Zone Alarm, AntiVir. Some jackass is running Java in a page, too. Unless Sun Java just forgot to shut down - I suspect it does that.

I don't let WinAmp Agent, CD Creator/Direct CD, or Mozilla Quick Start run in the tray these days because it just sucks mem. I took the Open Office Quick Start out too.

So I'm at 25 MB now. Should I try starting Orcad or Dreamweaver ;)

I lost a browser before this post. I changed virtual desktops (to run the Hamster script that found your reply) while the OS was doing the pagefile thing (I clicked refresh on TV guide :( - ask Don. He'd say cut the TV power cord) and the browser did the musical desktop thing and shut down.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

snip

found this, liposuction for adobe

martin

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Gandhi

Reply to
martin griffith

I think that's the same link posted last year, but Acrobat Pro 6 is

*not* Acrobat Reader. It might work, though. I'd really like to pull out and old cd that shipped with v4 or 5 of the reader. Maybe I can associate it with pdf files and only open Pro for editing without too much registry hacking.
--
Best Regards,
Mike

No. JS Virtual Pager. I'm surprised the thing works as well as it does (neary frawress) considering the winders OS. I used to play hell getting 9x to not do stupid things with my GUIs. I actually had it so that it wouldn't make my task bar fly out/unhide when I closed a program.

Acrobat is the prime offender with JS Pager. If it's loading a doc, and I change desktops, I can watch Acrobat's icon jump from screen to screen on the JS pager monitor.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Oh. Thanks for the links. "sastools.com"... sounds like something John Weisman would use.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Most of the time is used to load useless plugins and show the splash screen (the splash screen shouldn't matter, but it does...)

IIRC there are a few plugins that you may want to leave in plug_ins, because they will almost always be needed, the second link tells you how to find out what the different plugins do and what dependencies there are.

Even Acrobat 5.1 had a lot of plugins, wonder what the startup time would be if I reinstalled that and did the same there :-)

[...]

Overload? :-)

Reply to
Torbjorn Lindgren