Am I right in thinking the 741 was.....

733's were hot stuff once, but they weren't opamps, not feedback friendly at all. Nowadays you can buy a real 2 GHz opamp.

John

[snippage]

I like the AD8038 / AD8039. Low power for the speed.

300 MHz, 400 V/us, 1.5 mA max, 3 to 12 V supply.
--
Mark
Reply to

I doubt it ;-)

I had two female techs at GenRad... a babe and a grandmother.

...Jim Thompson

OK, they pretend to be interested in 'meanignfull 'conversation about the

741 but are too busy drinking 14 rum and cokes and want some c*ck to stuff up their fannies afterwards.

Is it my fault you didn't change the world?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

It is still the 5532, but Natsemi has just released LM4562, dont know how it works out costwise

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello Ban,

Yes, that's what made it so cheap. It was in VCRs, hard drives and other mass products. Maybe still is, to some extent. But it doesn't have to be used for video. Only one of my apps for it was video ;-)

That balanced architecture turned many people off but OTOH you got a real rocket for under a Dollar. It could make a nice AGC amp if you isolated the control element (FET etc.) properly and made sure it was mostly resistive. The alternatives in those days (HA2540, IIRC) cost a whole lot more and guzzled way more power.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hello John,

They still seem to be hot stuff, you can buy them under $0.40/1k. Even today that is a bargain. No feedback but the gain control at the emitter nodes is nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Or my "blender" version, the MC1545 ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Couldn't find that one, even Lansdale doesn't show it under Motorola Linear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Google on it. There are data sheets everywhere.

A few months ago I had an inquiry from a MIL customer about making a new version, but nothing came of it.

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Found it. Not a place to purchase some but a data sheet. Looks like you can't do an AGC amp with it but the mux part sure is nice. Muxes seem to be one area where younger engineers run into trouble, unless it's all in one chip and they can't mess it up.

Yeah, tire kicking. It seems to be on the rise :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

OP227 maybe. LT1124 is even better, but the pinout is weird.

The lowest voltage-noise single opamp is probably the LT1028, around 1 nv/rtHz.

John

6AQ8/ECC85, 12AT7/ECC81 :-)
--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Does anybody have a suggestion for a low noise quad op-amp?

I am looking for options for a transimpedance photodiode amplifier. I have been thinking about a MCP6294, 8.7nV/rtHz and 3fA/rtHz. Microchip of all people seems to make decent op-amps.

Ethan

Reply to
Ethan

None of the above. It was simply the first unity gain compensated op-amp.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

We never buy quads. Two duals aren't much bigger than one quad, and placement is usually easier. Single SOT-23s are very nice, too, but the best performance amps seldom come in that package, must be die size or thermal limits.

Most of the Microchip parts seem to be 5-volt-max stuff.

I'm lately using current-mode opamps as TIAs. They're not low-noise, but I have lots of light, so that's not a problem. But they're blinding fast.

John