AM antenna

You have to know the total loss resistance (including skin effect, losses in variable capacitors) and the radiation resistance. The radiation resistance is easily calculated from the size (at least for a single turn loop).

The radiation resistance (well below 1 ohm at these frequencies and sizes) are in series with the loss resistance, so the losses (and hence gain) depends e.g. on the conductor size (10 mm copper tubing or some thin wire).

I whiled guess for a loop antenna is -10 .. -40 dB, while the gain for a typical ferrite antenna might be -60 dB or even worse. This should be compared to the huge atmospheric noise levels at those bands.

Reply to
upsidedown

The -10 dB is a bit optimistic for the MW band 200-600 m.

The -10 dB I was referring to was for a 2 m single turn transmitter loop at 80 made of copper tubing and the estimated efficiency was somewhere 1-10 % and hence gain in the -20 to -10 dB range

Reply to
upsidedown

Show the circuit here. How exactly were the chokes, antennas, etc. all connected? It makes a difference.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sure not much to it,

+------+ | |\ | 10' piece +-|-\ | of wire 1mH | >-+--out

---------+-LLL--+---|+/ unknown R |/ distance R ------- R ground | GND (circuit ground)

So circuit ground is different from whatever ground the piece of wire sees. (spatially different)

It's lying on the 4th floor of an old cement industrial building. 20 years ago it was a Trico auto wiper plant.

If R's 10k ohm it's fine, at 100k and above it oscillates. I've got a opa2134 plugged in at the moment... (similar behavior with other opamps.) With the values shown it oscillates at about 1 Meg Hz, but it's so big it's hitting the negative power rail and 'getting ugly'. With only 100uH of L it rings with smaller amplitude at something like 2.2 MHz. (but it's a RC / slew rate looking shape. and it's not constant, but still being dragged about a little bit by the input signal.)

George H.

Had my fill of Turkey and all the fixin's

Reply to
George Herold

with

ET

don't

oise

ric

t,

lose

a in

)

in

a Q=3D5

n=92t

op

(L

Yeah, there are different grounds involved. Is that the problem?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ronics/antennas.html

)

Hmm I made a ~1 foot diameter loop, 5 turns 22AWG, L~14uH. With one side grounded it seemed to have more electro static pickup than magnetic. I should try it with a differential input.

Any idea how big a coil I need to match the same signal level as a 10 foot piece of wire? (Leaving off the 'coupling' inductor)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

rlt-n4ywk.htm

That's nice! Thanks,

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Try a longer antenna and connect your circuit common to a water pipe.

Reply to
John S

PVC or ABS?

Always use a name brand placebo, never a generic one.

-- Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss:

email: snipped-for-privacy@tinaja.com

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Don Lancaster

Yes. Sometimes I forget I am so old that metal water pipes are gone.

Reply to
John S

rlt-n4ywk.htm

So, it appears using a fixed length of wire and doubling the diameter with half the turns would not change the gain much since the gain goes up with diameter and down inversely with turns? Also the inductance drops as the diameter increases for the same length. This seems to indicate more wire is an advantage regardless of area except for wire losses?

-Bill

# For a fixed wire length:

"Sensitivity goes up as the loop diameter, and down inversely as the number of turns."

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Not at the wellhead. :)

I had to cut off an old 4" well casing once. Luckily, I did it BEFORE they passed a whole book full of reulations & laws on how to do it. I stuffed it full of packing for a couple feet, then cut it off flush with the floor of the wellhouse with a surface grinder, then filled several feet with wire & concrete. Now all you see is a ring of rust on the floor.

Michael A. Terrell