Altium Designer Pricing

Sorry, I was unclear. I was referring to the SolidEdge licensing not your FPGA tools.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I've been told that it's actually a very successful sales tool. Once a year, the customer (or potential customer) reconnects with the company. If said customer checks the "contact is OK" box, somebody will call. Not much different from keeping a sales "tickler" file. Siemens management seems to understand and support this. Maybe they came up with the idea.

The license key is a local text file - no license server to connect to. One person can put this file on a thumb drive or email it around. Poof - everybody's good for another year.

Libraries and templates are always an issue. The pain is only weakly related to the CAD package in use. I believe the pain is proportional to the square of the number of engineers with write access to the template directory.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Yes, I won't use proprietary CAD tools anymore. But even those are not likely to cut off the free tools. Have any of the vendors done this?

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't even buy/use that kind of software! Software must keep working always.

Reply to
N. Coesel

Yup. Windows-as-a-service--the jokes write themselves!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Who is currently in bed with a cold, installing the Nth version of Linux in a VirtualBox VM [hosted under Mint] to play with. Looks like CentOS 7 LTS is a win.)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have a full commercial perpetual Altium Designer license to sell.

I am moving out of the country and will not be using it.

Please contact me for details.

Roger

four one nine six eight one two one four two leave message.

Reply to
tecfacet

How much did it sell?

Reply to
mjbiggs

Probably worth %5k or more.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Altium are offering a %40 discount at the moment (giving a sale price of $5495) for users moving from Eagle.

In reality if you haggle with them a %40 discount is usually achievable in any case.

Reply to
JM