alternate circuit for zener diode

can u tell me whether i can use any other circuit in place of zener diode,which works similar to zener diode.

Reply to
xplosiveankush

hmm. sure, lots of them... depends on how you're using a ZENER?

how about an old LM7805 regulator?

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Try a band gap device.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Look at shunt type voltage reference devices such as National's LM4040 line.

- mkaras

Reply to
mkaras

TL430 or its variants

...Jim Thompson

Transistor junctions in reverse often "zener". But then they are basically zener diodes at that point, and unlike the "real" ones, you have to go through the transistors to find one with the voltage you desire (and likely it won't be over a wide spread).

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Well, I suppose that if it.....

Looks Like Shit. Smells Like Shit. Fries Like Shit. Tastes Like Fried Shit.

Then you might get away with it.

Of course, if the recipe called for Cat Shit and you used Horse Shit instead then you might run into problems.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Good thing we didn't step in it! Many thanks for analyzing it for us.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Hello Jim,

That would be the TL431 :-)

If it has to be low current consider the TLV431 (Texas) or LMV431 (National) for a few pennies more.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe this (view in fixed font)

Reply to
kell

You can't go wrong if you go here

You have a wide variety of circuits in this 32 page application note at differing power and simple or precision levels. Also included are sections on how to choose resistors and capacitors. Enjoy.

lemonjuice

Reply to
lemonjuice