HP/Agilent 6813A upgrade to 6813B - bit of a saga, comments/experiences ?

Hi chaps,

Sorry this is not strictly a repair issue, more of a upgrade issue but I'm looking for wider audience and this is 2nd best group I found

Questions re HP6813A, its an AC Source analyser, single phase input and generates up to 300v rms at dc to 1KHz, nice instrument for testing appliances for variety of voltages and frequencies. Data Sheet here:-

Purchased it s/h from a local Agilent agent some 4 to 5 years ago however, at the time the agent didnt inform me that Agilent used to offer an upgrade for this to make it a 'B' version. Only found out about the upgrade option 5 months ago and asked the agent, they said this was discontinued about 5 years ago :( Link is here:-

"14813A Upgrade 6813A to a RTS-ready 6813B"

Naturally I was rather peeved with the agent for not letting me know at the time I bought the instrument, they pleaded ignorance and said it wouldnt make any difference anyway because I bought the instrument a few months after the upgrade was discontinued and the agent stated categorically Agilent dont accept orders for discontinued items, even though the 'B' unit is still available and not discontinued.

So 5 months later, I'm browsing Agilents web site and find a few service notes for my instrument 'A' version, free GUI software for Windows and whats more prices for spare parts for the 'B' version which I thought might be suitable for my doing an 'A' to 'B' upgrade myself :)

btw: The agent didnt advise of any of these items, his only support was a user guide and a service manual without any schematics all on a non Agilent CD. I went through 4 years of relying on the agent and also peeved he didnt offer the free GUI software which would have made my life a heck of a lot easier over 4 years !

So, what the heck, I thought I'd email Agilent direct and enquire the possibility of an upgrade given that parts for the 'B' version were listed as spares. ie. I could purchase them and do the upgrade myself (unit was out of warranty and service contract), I titled my email upgrade including getting option 020 (Dual power analyser).

So you can imagine my surprise when the 'agent' emails me 2 days later as he has been forwarded my email by Agilent and point blank tells me he's been working hard for 5 months to get me the upgrade !

3 Days after that email he emails me a quote for aorund AUD$6000 for two circuit board parts and a 'special' calibration, I email him back and enquire where is the Option 020 in the quote and this is where he gets weird - he phones me and shouts out "Are you stupid or what, you didnt ask for that option 5 months ago".

The following day he emails me to tell the Option 020 is only available from the factory on a new 6813B and cant be included in any upgrade of a 6813A to a 6813B.

Well, I didnt know that option 020 was available until a few days ago but it 'gets my goat' the agent is rude, even for Australia where busines people can be a bit abrupt, its not, in my view appropriate that an agent treat a client that way.

The interesting thing is, the DSP circuit board for the 6813A has space for more A to D convertors and I'm guessing that the 6813B DSP board would have similar populating options and why wouldnt the factory be able to sell a spare part for the 6813B which has the dual power option - after all its only extra parts on the DSP, a current shunt and the rear panel change (afaik) - comments ??

So, thanks for reading the above saga, my questions are:-

a. Has anyone had a 6813A upgraded to a 6813B and what did it cost ?

b. Has anyone had the Option 020 done at the same time ?

c. Any advice on what to do next with Agilent as emails to them will doubtless go to the agent etc

I'm keen to find someone who has the 6813B with option 020 and wonder if they are able to email me photos of all the relevant bits and compare notes etc... I have firmware A.00.09 and also looking to upgrade that,

Is it worth getting a new DSP board for the 6813B and manually adding the extra components to make the dual power option workable ?

Overall I want to pursue upgrading my instrument and might even consider buying a used or faulty 6813B with option 020

Comments and observations welcome ?

email: 6813 at niche.iinet.net.au

--
Regards