Adventure in EV charging (2023 Update)

Birth rates drop as societies develop. We'll probably never hit 10 billion.

But everyone deserves clean water and decent food and electric lights and education. Providing that to 10 billion people will take some work, but not an unreasonable amount.

I have collected valuable info and opinions, sometimes chatting near charging stations. Not everything needs to be business related. By the way, people are much more friendly and polite, in person.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Brent Oil, matching high since 2018, and since drop in 2015.

Did our beloved President ask why gasoline price is so high?

Reply to
Ed Lee

And those are the bastards who are bent on doing their worst to us more than anyone else! All they care about is profits! Use less fuel and we export more letting them take advantage of other countries rather than letting the carnivorous nay, cannibalistic oil interests eat at our livers.

What we should have done in Afghanistan is to impose subsidies on finding and eliminating the Taliban. Then we could have let the commercial sector take care of "business".

Reply to
Rick C

Notice how his time here is justified, but your time doing what you prefer is wasted. Larkin is nothing if not self centered.

Reply to
Rick C

That's probably not true. We are above 7 billion and birth rates in many African countries continues to be very high. Africa is likely to be the new Asia and push the world population well above 10 billion.

That is more a matter of distribution of resources than the availability of resources themselves. We've seen that many, many times.

Reply to
Rick C

That is certainly true. I had many very nice conversations at charging stops. Kinda like walking through the park would have been 100 years ago.

That doesn't happen at smelly gas stations. There it's all about getting in and back out again. No one wants to hang at gas stations.

Reply to
Rick C

Do you ever trim a post?

Is gasoline high? I haven't seen much change at all in the last four months.

Reply to
Rick C

Biden said it's too high. He said it should be lower, to match his poll ratings.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Africa is the richest continent on Earth, the people are poor.

Whenever some leader of a rich nation figures the people should be rich also the CIA tends to show up and is like "You can't just distribute it like that, it has to go through the proper channels. and if the US of A isn't taking a cut it's not the proper channels."

China and Russia tend to take a similar view of Latin America, Asia and Africa

Reply to
bitrex

If those places were paid a fair price for their resources and always had been they would simply buy those things on the open market, there wouldn't be any need to "provide" them like charity. But that's not how the past 400 years of industrialization of the First World via exploitation of the Third has tended to work.

Reply to
bitrex

John Larkin doesn't know much and doesn't have much imagination.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Maybe they can subsidize it the way they subsidized the nuclear power industry, to almost zero net value. It would almost surely end up a better value than spending it on the most expensive way to boil water ever conceived.

Obama talked of “building a new generation of safe, clean nuclear power plants in this country.” Obama was also smoking crack on that one

Reply to
bitrex

France does it well. A standard reactor design, rationally regulated, works.

But fracking has changed everything. We have gobs of cheap, clean, reliable NG here now, no subsidies required.

Reply to
jlarkin

+1
Reply to
John S

Not all that well. De Gaulle wanted his nuclear weapons, so France got quite a few nuclear reactors. There wasn't anything all that rational about it.

But a whole lot of extra anthropogenic global warming. John Larkin is great at ignoring realities he doesn't like, and will probably stay that way until his mountain cabin burns to ashes (which he is convinced can't happen).

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

That's funny. I thought it was the French who were designing and building the EU reactors that are many years behind schedule and many billions of Euros over budget. I understand the disaster of a project being built in the UK is making them rethink the financing so that the risk for all nukes in the future will be passed onto the rate payers. Otherwise no one would dream of building more nuke plants. I suppose in the UK that's not entirely unreasonable. There seems to be a lot of opposition to building too much wind power and they are too far north for much solar. Nukes seem to be the only remaining option for carbon neutral energy.

Of course natural gas is subsidized. No one is making them pay to clean up the carbon waste they release into the atmosphere.

Reply to
Rick C

Guvn'mt subsidized the oild companies too. Big tax breaks.

boB

Reply to
boB

The "fair price" is in fact the market price.

People in pre-industrial societies has no use for their bauxite and lithium.

They weren't even given that.

I'm gonna come to your office and look around for any stuff I figure you're not using and just help myself. Like what do you need that ol' piece of junk over there for. you don't need that. Yeah some people claim San Francisco is an "industrial society" but I'm not convinced.

Reply to
bitrex