Advances in Audio Op-Amp design

I just received the National Semiconductor monthly newsletter where they announce their new high-performance audio Op-Amp. The LM4562 boasts with impressive claims on various performance parameters. (0.00003% distortion and 2.7nV/sqHz noise).

See

It seems if National has a challenge for other Op-Amp chip designers. Are there anybody out there that were able to test drive one of these? Any inside information on the National champion(s) involved in the chip design?

It seems we will have to upgrade our distortion measuring equipment.

Gerhard van den Berg CSIR

Reply to
Gerhard

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:38:50 +0200, Gerhard wrote in Msg.

That's 1/3 the AD797's distortion, but 2-3 times the noise. Can't have everything!

But the National part is a dual, and probably cheaper. And what I like is that it can actually be had in a TO-99 metal can package, which is obviously geared towards the High-End community.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I wonder how it sounds??

greg

Reply to
GregS

Rather like a smooth rioja (2002) in the bottom end, a bit more like an overdriven EF86 at the top end.The mids sound a bit slow

But on P6 of the data sheet, they still quote THD and noise, why cant they just show the THD? I'm sure an AP can do this

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

The distortion is likely not that much better than the AD797. AD notes in the 797 data sheet that the distortion graph is measurement-limited. I've measured AD797 distortion well below their data sheet value--similarly with the OPA627.

The LM4562 data sheet is a bit disappointing to me: a plethora of graphs, and none of noise voltage and current densities versus frequency. Plots of IMD that are characteristic at lower amplitudes not of IMD but of noise-limited measurements. Similarly, plots of THD+N that are noise-limited at all the lower amplitudes, when spectrally the harmonics would be very obvious above the narrow-band noise floor. Plots versus frequency that do not extend beyond 20kHz. (A low-distortion 55MHz GBW part should have uses beyond the assumed limit of the human audio band...)

In comparing noise, it's good to consider the input equivalent noise power, and not just the voltage, and of course what source resistance you'll be using to drive it. If your source resistance is lower than the optimal source resistance for the amplifiers under consideration, you'd pick the lowest voltage noise amp, but if it's higher, you'd pick the lowest current noise amp, and the LM4562 is a bit quieter in the current noise category. The optimal source resistance is about

1.7kohms for the LM4562, and about 450 ohms for the AD797. Noise voltage*current/Hz is 4.3e-21watts/Hz for the LM4562 and 1.8e-21 for the AD797. But an OPA627 checks in at about 1.3e-23, and is also very low distortion even with high source resistances. Transformers (good ones far more expensive than the op amp) may be used to match a source to the amplifier for optimal noise figure.

Cheers, Tom

Robert Latest wrote:

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Cool, that looks like just what I want for my PLL, shame RS/farnell dont stock it yet.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin