Accurately locating SOT-23 parts

It's not hard. Just old and fairly worn down SMT pick&place machines running flat-out all day long. I have an example here from a product with qties in the millions/year. No, not from a client. And they all work.

You need to get out more :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Millions per year requires *better* tools or the losses will kill any company.

I meant that if their production is that sloppy, given the overhead of the toy market and the losses they *must* be taking from such a shitty process, they're not making any money.

Reply to
krw

If almost none of the more or less skewed SOT contacts ever fail, what losses?

I know they are making money.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg is right. A cheap wireless doorbell from China which I have has components which appear to have been mounted by a deranged orang-utan on acid. Clearly very badly machine built with gaps bridged by cheap labour. It works, ship it.

Even my very old stereo amplifier is a lesson in ugliness. All through hole with vertical resistors at all sorts of angles and lead lengths.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

One of my examples here isn't even cheap stuff, it is a board from a fairly popular cordless telephone system. The kind that retails for around $80-$100 at the usual discount club stores.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How many SOT-23s?

Reply to
krw

I saw a tear-down of one of the fake phone chargers, it looked like the assembly process was done by trowing components at the pcb from across the room and soldering it with a bent nail heating over a bonfire

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The parts are EXTREMELY cheap in this sort of spew. I've heard of 20%+ fallout rates. So cheap they ship such lots untested to India at a big discount (where it's worth their time to sort or fix the bad ones).

You can buy untested microcontroller dice, since testing adds a tiny amount to the cost, and just slap it on a COB and throw the whole thing away if it appears to fail at room temperature and with a nominal battery voltage. Of course a small percentage will _just_ work and will fail when the room temperature drops or whatev..

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

The boards, even 2-layer FR-2, aren't. I'm not buying 20% scrap, either. 2% is enough to bankrupt anyone.

You're going to mount bare uC dice on a process where you can't place parts within .5mm? Good luck!!

Reply to
krw

Stamped paper-phenolic boards are priced by the square meter. A 5 cent bare board is not unusual, and I expect

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany