AC Cap Dropper DC Power Supply

Could also be signs of boredism?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

JF
Reply to
John Fields

The wonderful question has been swirling a while, and something floated to the surface of my mind...

How about a saturating inductor; it's just a conductor if a surge comes in, and you get one positive voltage peak, and one negative, each cycle. The little blocking-oscillator cores from Pico (for instance) are even specified for losses in saturating service. And, they have an insulated secondary.

The big advantage over a linear transformer supply is that the primary side inductance needn't be high (less copper needed) and the core HAS to be undersized. So, the little surface-mount types are suitable.

The minor advantage: the saturation of the core kinda-sorta regulates, to a known value of volt-seconds per pulse...

Reply to
whit3rd

undersized.

known

He he, I did thought of that for a previous application, but the 'client' 'forgot' to pay me the previous contract so it never saw the light.

Should work nice.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

ferroresonant transformer- they're peculiar beasts.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

--
Ferroresonant?
Reply to

Ferroresonant!

Not sure anybody cares, but the P3 killawatt meter uses cap shunter power supply. Those thigs have no memory, so if you lose power you lose all your logged data.

I figured, easy, I'll toss a supercap in there, no big deal, and who cares if the display stays on.

Of course that never worked as the current from that power supply was close to nothing and unable to charge the cap in the first place. Even being plugged in for days didn't help as the leakage probably exceeded what the watt meter itself used.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Years ago at a hamfest booth, I had a vendor begging me to take one off his table. It weighed about 50 lbs, he was down to $9. It was closing time. I didn't get it. It would still be in my storage. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I swear to god I would never do business with either of you two. You both act like 12 year olds and right here in full public view.

Simply amazing...

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Ferroresonant.

--
JF
Reply to

--
No timely reply?

Could it be that, as usual, you dodge the issue when you finally wake
up and find yourself with your foot in your mouth?

I think so.

Post a schematic to prove me wrong instead of your incessant blather.
Reply to
John Fields

that.

custom

I suspect that JT never got a c-dropper circuit that works. His first two tries were duds.

He's not very good once he gets off-chip.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Michael A. Terrell

One of my all time favorites!

My NOT favorite: "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein"... not the movie to see when you're a little kid and have to walk back thru the woods, next to the State Asylum, at night.

I kid you not :-( ...Jim Thompson

Then you don't want click this link.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I can cope now, but fathom the situation when you're maybe 8 years old.

(Back in the never-to-return past when it was safe to let your kids walk thru the woods to the theater... now there are Democrats out there :-) ...Jim Thompson

You can download the movie from several sites for free. It's likely to be found on Youtube, as well.

Yes, it really bothers some people, but some just laughed at those movies. No big deal on who was who. Very few ever bothered me, and that movie came out before I was born. I think I saw it on the local TV station when I was a teenager. It ran with movies like 'The Claw!!!' ;-)

OTOH, I cultivated the belief in kids at a local school that I was a dangers & crazy man. They vandalized a lot of houses & stole from my neighbors but you couldn't get a one of them to walk through my yard for anything. If i stood on my front porch when school let out, the kids would walk n extra four blocks, instead of past my house. :)

Most are toothless & in straight jackets. The worst most can do is to drool on some poor kid! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

??

Yes, God must really hate republicans.

Reply to
tuinkabouter

I always liked "The Thing" >:-} ...Jim Thompson