Absolute encoder outputs

I am trying to emulate the single ended output of an absolute encoder (I have the circuit but not the encoder). The encoder has a pinout similar to the following:

1 24v supply 2 0v 3 bit 1 4 bit 2 5 bit 3 6 bit 4 7 bit 5 8 bit 6 9 bit 7

The output signal is 5v for high bit, 0v for low bit. I'm not quite sure how to emulate the encoder's 5v signal to the circuit. Do I use the signal lines as a sink for a small load @ 5v? If anyone can point me to some introductory references, it would be greatly appreciated. Clearly I did not design the circuit, I'm just trying to use it. Thanks.

Reply to
Capt. Skinny

You need to know more about the encoder's outputs, and the bit pattern. Does it say if the encoder outputs are TTL compatible or anything? If it just says 5V, I'd use HCmos logic at 5V for the outputs, but you need to know what bit pattern corresponds to what output/input you need.

Here are some references:

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

An absolute encoder I worked with had open collector outputs, if I recall correctly - NPN transistors, with emitter grounded, and collector to the output pin - pull-up resistors to +5V were required at the receiver.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Frankly, the output is most likely a Gray code.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany