A simple Linux server to make your serial ports available all over the world.

I wrote a small server to make the serial devices in Linux available via ethernet. It is called e2s (for Ethernet to serial)

You use it for example like this: e2s -d /dev/ttyUSB1 -b 19200 -p 8192

That starts a server listening for connections on port 8192, and forwarding any data it sees to / from the /dev/ttyUSB1 serial port adaptor.

Now you can connect to /dev/ttyUSB1 from anywhere in the world!

To test, I am running it on a my swr box, but the transmitter is off, so you can do little harm (I hope)

You can try it: telnet 81.207.135.196 8192 Once connected in telnet type: control ] A prompt should appear, then type: mode char

Now you are 1 to 1 connected to my swr box, this one:

Type h for help

I have compiled e2s without problems for PC, and also for MIPS (Linksys WAP).

Hope this is useful for those who use some of my PIC projects, this is version 0.1, so strange things may happen, and things may change...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ethernet.

adaptor.

I did that with my IC-756 PRO way back, so I could listen and watch my radio at work via the network.. Kind of slow, but it works.

Audio is patched through sounds packets etc..

I maybe mistaken but I think some outfit has done this already with this radio. I never felt the desire to publish what I made because it was just an experiment for something else at the time.

This was done on windows of course..

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:15:49 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

ethernet.

adaptor.

There is a very nice utility in Linux, it is called 'netcat', also 'nc'. I use it to send high quality video via WiFi to the laptop. So the main PC has the satellite receiver card, and records to disk set by a timer.

Then I run this script in one xterm on the laptop: PORT=1234 while [ 1 ] do echo "Hold ctrl C down to abort." netcat -l -p $PORT | mplayer -fs -vop pp=0x20000 -monitoraspect 800:480

-cache 1000 - done exit 1

Then I ssh to the main PC, log in , and type send-ts and have more then 100 movies to chose from:

This is the send-ts script:

# send-ts

if [ "$1" == "" ] then echo "Usage: send-ts offset10MB filename ipaddress" exit 1 fi

if [ "$2" == "" ] then echo "Usage: send-ts offset10MB filename ipaddress" exit 1 fi

if [ "$3" == "" ] then echo "Usage: send-ts offset10MB filename ipaddress" exit 1 fi

dd skip=$1 if=$2 bs=10000000 \ | \ /bin/netcat \

-w 100 \ $3 \

1234

---------------------------------------- netcat is cool:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Would you be willing to share the code, for us windows types ?

thanks

don

Reply to
don

Which part of the code would you need?

I used the ICS components to do the network transfer. and then used basic PCM sound coding in windows which is code I grabbed from the slow scan program.

I made a simple single wire RS-232 interface to the rig etc..

Used my camera to take a snap shot of the radio's panel and integrated that with animated buttons that work via it's com link commands etc..

I would have to dig on my other PC for the original program how ever, I have the code I used for the various parts in my libs if you need assistants in writing your own?

I don't know if you're aware of the slow scan program I put out some time ago? "SSTV32", that program itself performs FFT with the Sound card PCM interface I wrote, FTP file up load for live images for web viewers, a Web veiwer for tiled images from others that are doing the same, Twain interfacing, interfacing the rig via the serial port, image capture from camera devices etc..

I put all of this in a single EXE file that fails just over 1 meg in file size. It has other basic functions that you would expect..

When I made the ICOM program, I just took code section from that program and kind of made a quick trinket to play with..

Let me know what code you need help with. We could move this discussion in another group if needed.

P.S. This was done in Asm/Inline Asm and Delphi

Reply to
Jamie

I'd never heard of it before. Turns out it's on this system, but there's no goddamn man page.

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Wed, 30 Dec 2009 07:32:12 -0800) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

And, if you have it: /usr/share/doc/netcat/ VERY extensive documentation, examples too. If you do not have it, I put the README from tha tdirectory on my ftp server, including the picture of the cat: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/netcat_README.txt

Reply to
Jan Panteltje