AT91SAM7S-EK serial ports

I am surprised to learn that the AT91SAM7S-EK eval board does not bring out all three UARTs. It seems like such a basic functionality would be provided. This is especially surpising when I found out that there is an unused transmitter and receiver in one of the RS-232 chips!

I need all three ports, so I am going to wire up UART1 to the unused IOs and bring it out to the same connector as the debug port. If anyone is interested I can provide the info on how to make the change. It looks like it will require one via drilled since it is under the IC and one trace cut with four jumper wires.

Pretty simple... but I have not done it yet, so I'll wait until I have tested it before I post it.

Reply to
rickman

It is extremely surpising... :)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Many eval boards seems to be a good example of how not to design a MCU based circuit. It seems that the design of an eval board is seen as unimportant so is given to someone without much experience in stead of to someone with lots of experience. IMO an eval board's schematic should be the basis of most designs based upon the MCU used on the eval board.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

My application include

  1. CAN Controller &
  2. USB transceiver present inbuilt in the processor. So I found these two together in only two families i.e. coldfire & ARM AT91SAM . It'll be mu pleasure if u give anothere controllers with th above mentioned requirements. I've gone thru SBCs bt they r very costly n our product is in the range of 10 th. (total cost)

I'll be very grateful to u if u send me the datasheet coldfire MCf548x, bcoz i m nt getting it on freescale site.

thanx n regards. Pravin patil

Reply to
Pravin