A little bit OT question about generating ntirogen

I have been liquifying air no problem, but you get both liquid oxygen and liquid nitrogen, plus water ice. The liquid oxygen is a bit dangerous if you make a mistake.

So looking for a 'cheaper faster better' way to make some relatively pure nitrogen, spending many brain cycles on it, and web searches, I came up with 2 possible solutions. The first one is to use a standard compressor (as for car tires), and add this thing:

It is called 'TyreSaver3, made in the US, and filters out the oxygen and inflates the tires with 95.5% nitrogen, all at reasonable pressures that I need. But it is a bit expensive at about 650 Euro ex VAT, But a very cool solution :-)

The other one is a nitrogen generator from ebay,

more expensive, but 99.9 % pure nitrogen. It seems to use electrolysis and KOH as catalyser, and distilled water as input. Now here starts my question: what sort of reaction is this? N + O2 -> N and the O2 reacts with the KOH? Can I even buy KOH here without a special license? (they refused to sell me sulfer without a license duh).

I think the TyreSaver3 is a cool solution though, so simple. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It is only a real risk if you accidentally concentrate the O2 which has a slightly higher boiling point and much worse if you manage to end up with any liquid ozone (darker blue) which is inclined to detonate.

LOX plus almost anything is inclined to serious conflagration or if provoked detonation. It is a lovely pale blue colour and strongly paramagnetic which allows for a couple of amusing non-pyrotechnic demos. I know someone with their own LOX still (now retired).

nitrogen,

Simple method if it doesn't have to be too pure is to use up all the oxygen by burning charcoal in it and then you have an N2 CO2 mixture. Or at a pinch a wax candle which leaves some water too.

You could scrub out the resulting CO2 with KOH if you wanted, but it will be solid at LN2 temperatures so you probably don't need to bother provided your kit can stand it being solid phase.

Caustic NaOH will probably do at a pinch. They are almost certainly doing something similar to what I suggested above. Burn carbon in the air stream and then scrub out the resulting CO2.

Removing the Argon is somewhat more tricky by distillation.

Given the price of LN2 I have to wonder why you don't just order some.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Generically, these days, you are looking for a membrane nitrogen concentrator - but they all seem a bit high-priced - though perhaps somewhat less high-priced than the specific model you are looking at if you get the commodity item, rather than something pointed at car owners with too much money.

PSA is another option, but involves more complicated machinery (and more air compressor run time, thus money to run - but you might find something surplus, as it's old tech.)

I rather suspect your compressor run cost equals or exceeds the cost of buying LN2 - and certainly the cost of a membrane concentrator will buy many liters of LN2...

Ecnerwal

Jan Panteltje schrieb:

input.

Hello,

I believe there is something wrong. They sell hydrogen generators too, the hydrogen is made by elctrolysis of water and KOH is no catalyser here, it is simply necessary to let the current flow through the water. Maybe they mixed up the description of the nitrogen generator with parts of the description of the hydrogen generator.

It is possible to get nitrogen out of the air, it is also possible get hydrogen out of water, but it is not possible to get nitrogen out of water. As we should know here, water consists of hydrogen and oxygen, but there is no nitrogen within this chemical compound. Nitrogen may be seperated from air by to methods: liquify the air and seperate by destillation or filtering the air with pressure through the walls of tiny tubes.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

nitrogen,

ible solutions.

this thing:

..

..

input.

Many moons ago I ran an old nitrogen liquifier. It had this tall tower (~3 meters), that I belive did fraction distillation of the Oxygen and Nitrogen. You could turnn a big valve on the side of the machine and switch from LN to LOX.

But why are you trying to make your own LN? I thought your goal was just low temperatures? If you want LN I bet you can have it delivered to your door for less than a euro per liter. I've got a 60 liter nitrogen dewar, for $95 a truck will come to the loading dock and fill it up*. I think the price would be about the same if it was a 200 l dewar. Most of the cost is for the truck and driver's time. The LN is cheap. The dewar holds for about 2 months. I've got a colleague who claims his new LN storage dewar can hold for six months.

George H.

*Linde a major cryo liquid provider is up the road in Niagara Falls which may make the delivery cost here a bit cheaper.
Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 7 Jul 2011 07:01:13 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

That would be a bit big, and pricy too I think.

Well, I am just experimenting,

Sure, I can cool things to close to 70 K, but there is some (a lot) of vibration from the cry-cooler.

So for some experiments I want to have a dewar of LN at hand.

You can have *anything* delivered to your door, providing you pay for it. With anything I mean from Apollos to submarines, what not.

Yea, but then what fun is it.

Think of what you can do with the LOX :-)

hush hush

Maybe one day niagara falls will be frozen, some sight. Yesterday I did see a documentary about China, there was this guy jumping of a

20 meter high waterfall, for money. He did it hundreds of times it seems, and lived,
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Jul 2011 15:23:09 +0200) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

input.

Yes electrolysis of water, works great, you can blow bubbels with the resulting gass and detonate thoise with a match.

Sure, but you can have someting react with the oxygen, bind the oxigen from the atmosphere, that leaves N.

H2O

Or just burning a candle in a container until it goes out, that gets rid of the oxygen too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:24:55 +0100) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

nitrogen,

OK, thank you for the info.

OK

One has to have done everything in this life, or as much as possible. Just go with the flow.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje schrieb:

the atmosphere, that leaves N.

Hello,

all noble gases like Argon, Helium and so on would be left too.

There are much better ways to get Nitrogen out of air than to make hydrogen out of water by electrolysis only to burn with the air to leave water vapor and nitrogen. To much electrical energy is necessary for that way. The hot flame will generate some nitrogenoxides too. If the ratio of air and hydrogen is not correct, there will be some left hydrogen or oxygen within the nitrogen.

Forget this ebay dealer with wrong descriptions of the machines he wants to sell.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

nitrogen,

solutions.

thing:

input.

Fractional distillation? Then find a way to vent the O2 off?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:55:40 -0700) it happened Tim Wescott wrote in :

nitrogen,

solutions.

this thing:

input.

Yes that thought had occured to me. But then I am not a chemist, so I am dangerous doing that :-) LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 07 Jul 2011 18:02:25 +0200) it happened Uwe Hercksen wrote in :

the atmosphere, that leaves N.

I am still not convinced that description is wrong, look up the reply of Martin Brown in this thread. But I admit I do not understand exactly how that thing works either. But looks like you can make your own. We need some chemical expertise here, maybe Dr Sloman?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ure=3D

oss=3D

add=3D

me.=3D

or.=3D

as=3D

LN is great fun to play with, and not very dangerous. I've never touched LOX. So I'm a bit frightened by it. You could try making a dewar full of liquid air and then decant the LN off the top. (I think the LOX is more dense.) But what will you do with the LOX? (Don't pour it on your charcoal grill :^)

George H.

of a 20 meter high

Reply to
George Herold

nitrogen,

solutions.

this thing:

input.

"TyreSaver3" ??? What is it about PV=nRT that suckers like Panteltje don't understand ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

ure nitrogen,

ossible solutions.

add this thing:

me...

or...

as input.

a7yvm109gf5d1

Automotive version of oxygen free audio cables? Art

Reply to
Artemus

There's also a form of zeolite called "molecular seive (sieve?)" that's used in an "oxygen concentrators" - it literally filters the nitrogen out of the air; just use that instead of the oxygen output.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

nitrogen,

solutions.

thing:

input.

It seems to me that a bit of rework on something like this will get you what you want

David Eather

message

I think so ;-) ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:59:24 +1000) it happened David Eather wrote in :

nitrogen,

solutions.

this thing:

input.