A contour checker...

I am designing an inexpensive contour checker for machined parts coming out of a lathe. I want to use a simple laser distance finder with a 0-10 VDC output, and a small toothed belt driven stepper motor to position the laser sensor along a delrin linear bearing.

The stepper motor will receive a move command, a certain time to settle will pass, and a sensor reading will be taken. This will repeat 10-15 times for a 4-6 inch part, and compare the input to existing data in a lookup table (multiple parts are programmed in)

The analog readings are taken, and if they are within a certain percentage of the "taught" values, the part passes.

I could use a micro plc, (perhaps a Mitsubishi) but am looking to do this in a low cost method.

If anyone is able to read my ramblings, and can decipher my thoughts, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Reply to
Howhurley

The best contour checker is the eye looking at a tit (or two).

Reply to
Robert Baer