Transistor Checker

OK, I pretty much never used one. When the circuit would come alive, the sc ope tells you if a transistor is bad. If not, the DVM or ohmmeter will. (yu p, that old, I know others are older and actually want to query them so I c an make sure not to do what they did)

At any rate, the boredom does set in once in a while and go looking for tro uble. In the B&K 520B transoistor tester, I may have found it. That is unle ss an answer comes too quiclky... ...

%he print is here :

/download.html

Any trouble with it and I'll rip it and throw it in Dropbox, whatever. You might not need it for my question though.

The question : How the hell does it tell the collector from the emitter ? M ost bipolar transistors (and that's it when it comes to this) will amplifiy i connected with the collector and emitter leads reversed. At low voltages of course. Most B-E junctions Zener out on you at five or six volts, but t easting that way cannot reallt be called non-destructive because the transi stor REALLY doesn't like it.

That tester has to work with DUTs from what, 50 volts to twelve hunder ? Ga ins from 40 to 1,000 ? Well 400.

It is p[robably reasonable to assume a bipolar has more gain when the termi nals are used according to Hoyle, 100 the right way, reverse collector and emitter and get what, 5 ? But the tester has no way to figure that out beca use it has nbo idea what it is testing. What coul tell the difference in a vertical or horizontal output in a reactive scanning CRT system, would fry most small signal transistors. just to find out what it is.

The way the thing works is it figures out if it IS. If it IS it figures it is good, and IDs the leads. You know, it might be worth keeping around just to IS the leads of old ass surplus components that are unmarked or marked with somehithng from Mars or Venus or whatever. You know like from 1980 or something.

But anyway, y'all engineers in here, some of you know alot about the actual construction of transistors. I find the subject fascinating but really, it was never in my interest to spend alot of tine on it because I just wasn't going for that kind of job and probably never would. Plus I suck at chemis try so...

Anyway, it's not so muh that I want to know how THIS unit tells the collect or from the emitter, it's also that I ask, how would YOU do it ?

It is not a really important thing. Take care of business first. But when y ou want to break off thre mule team, the race, the game and all that shit, just WHAT tells them ?

I am sure that with enough time (and eyesight) I could figure it out eventu ally. But that - well, maybe I should.

To fix the freq counter recently, I had to print out the print. Eight pages I taped together. Then it made sense.

Maybe I should do that with this, but I don't have it in that format. I wou ld have to cut it up on the PCC and then print it, and I ain't doing screen captures because it is too hard to get the sizes right. Unless I , well of course if I get the right software.

But the thing is, this has bothered me for a long time. Tnen, now, matters not. With such a wide range of possible devices, how can this thing non-des tructively determine those pins ?

You hook up the three leads. You run the switch through all its ppositions which makes an audio signal when a good transistor is detected. Seems to me , most transistors should check good at two positions.

Reply to
jurb6006

scope tells you if a transistor is bad. If not, the DVM or ohmmeter will. ( yup, that old, I know others are older and actually want to query them so I can make sure not to do what they did)

rouble. In the B&K 520B transoistor tester, I may have found it. That is un less an answer comes too quiclky... ...

ip/download.html

[...]

Hello, A good/reliable transistor checker would give you the same I-V curves as seen in a devices textbook, thereby ensuring a working device. We use a bit old transistor checker from HP, and so far it has been very reliable.

Reply to
dakupoto

It doesn't - it will give a tone either way round. To distinguish between the two positions you have to insert resistance in the base connection then it becomes obvious which.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

It does. I got the thing and it only goes off in one position on damnear an y transistor it is connected to. See the oscillators in the print, the spea ker puts out the 1 kHz interuppted by the 10 Hz. I gues they wanted it to s ound like a ringing bell. . or something.

Reply to
jurb6006

you the same I-V curves as seen "

I got this free. I never wanted it as I said I know if a transistor is bad or good fro how it acts in the cuircuit. But I do not have to identify the collector from the emitter.

It was intended for the repair businees and was a tool for those less competent.

What i am really asking here is what other parameters could be used to tell if the transistor is not " upside down " so to speak, let's say if you don;t have the pinout. A DVM or ohmmmeter only really identifies the base.

Reply to
jurb6006

any transistor it is connected to. See the oscillators in the print, the sp eaker puts out the 1 kHz interuppted by the 10 Hz. I gues they wanted it to sound like a ringing bell. . or something.

The classic tr tester simply looks for hfe, and if enough is found it says its good. Presumably the threshold is set so that upside down most trs dont give enough.

Assuming a gain of at least 40 is a bit optimistic, there are trs out there that only get ya a gain of 3 or so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you get it the right way round there will be more gain.

presumably the sider switch for pin asignment has each pair of C-E substitutions adjacent so that performing comparison is easy.

it seesm to run a dual rail supply +5v and -5V with the emitter of the device under test grounded.

it doesn;t. theres some transistors that can't handle 5V those would probably be damaged.

500V transistors will work kind-of at 5V, well enough that youu can tell it's a transistor.

most transistors have a reverse beta of less than 10 and a forwards beta of more than 10, so if the threshold for the buzzer is at a current gain of 10 you's only get a buzz in one position.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

** Method one:

A DVM used on the "diode check" range will give a B-E and B-C conduction voltage (while out of circuit) at a fixed current. The slightly lower reading is the B-C junction long as the device is OK.

Method two:

A "beta" or Hfe checker will normally give a much higher reading when the C and E are connected with correct polarity.

However, most are intended for small signal devices and will not test many power transistors or power Darlingtons reliably - I have a dedicated tester for them that operates at a much higher, fixed collector current.

Method three:

Use Google to find a data sheet for the device, which ought to contain pin-out information.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If I recall correctly, there are several difference between the B-E and B-C junctions which can be used to distinguish them.

(1) The forward voltage drop (at low current levels) is different, due to different doping profiles in the junctions.

(2) As you note, DC gain is typically a lot lower if you run the transistor "upside down".

(3) I believe I recall that the C-E saturation voltage is different than the (E-C) upside-down saturation voltage.

I'd guess that automated transistor testers probably look at all of these factors in order to make a decision and analysis.

There are some pretty sophisticated little automated semiconductor testers available these days, for cheap (look on eBay). They do all of this and more. They can distinguish bipolar transistors, FETs (depletion and enhancement), diodes, LEDs, and more... some of them can tell you things like "This is a bipolar LED, green in this direction, red in that direction".

Reply to
David Platt