small low-capacitance Schottky diodes

Some here may remember my big RIS-767 project, the "highly-efficient low-voltage boost-converter testbed", with free testbed PCBs offered up for experimenting. I claimed we could create 98% efficient converters. The RIS-767 testbed allows creating custom converter circuits, as well as using the same platform to test the best commercial boost-converter ICs we could find.

Rob Legg has been investing his consider talents in using these testbed PCBs to test conventional boost converters and creating new ones that meet and exceed the 98% criteria. His work uncovered deficiencies in my PCB design, and even as he was spending untold hours at the bench, I've been spending untold hours taking his observations and advice to improve and fix the RIS-767 testbed. He's been working with rev 3, and meanwhile I'm well along on changes with rev 4.

But I digress. About small diodes. We're talking about voltages from 0.6 to 2.4 volts, and this means exclusively using a synchronous converter topology. Rob Legg discovered that the LT3400 and LT3402 boost- converter families require external Schottky diodes across the internal synchronous-rectifier P-channel MOSFETs, as suggested in their datasheets, so I'm cramming the parts onboard. Sorry, digressing again. Any parallel diode capacitance adds to the MOSFET switch Coss capacitance, creating P = C V^2 f loss. So we really need to use low-capacitance diodes.

Small low-capacitance diodes. Most diode footprints are rather large**, for example the common SOD-123 is substantially-bigger than the already-large 0805 footprint. In this context, the next-size smaller SOD-323 is welcome. Hence my enthusiasm for ST's '323 part, the bat54j*, compared to its larger -123 brother, the bat54z. Hmm, I previously encountered, with shock, that ST's bat46z was OK, but the smaller bat46j had disappeared from distributors. (The scene might be different for an alternate manufacturer, like Diodes, Inc., etc., but not investigated.)

  • The bat54 has about 6pF of capacitance at 2 volts, and its loss is about 8.5uW at 2.4 volts and 250kHz, which is an acceptable 0.036% compared to 24mW.***
** Weird exception: For years Bourns was selling exact-sized 0805 diodes and 0603 diodes. Apparently a few years ago they up and discontinued the 0805 parts, but still offer the 0603 parts. I have three different sets of 100-piece stock in low-capacitance 0603 diodes, but am hesitant to design them into new project PCBs, for fear they'll also disappear. It seems that nobody else picked up on the 0805, 0603 diode-size thing, and Bourns has sent out a shockwave. *** Yes, there are much lower-capacitance Schottky parts, I have many that are under 1pF. But we need reasonable conductance. The bat54 conducts 100mA with Vf = 700mV, so it's barely good enough. More conductance would mean higher capacitance and loss.

One suggestion for anybody responding to this long multi-topic post, edit out my irrelevant blah blah before hitting send. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

We use some SC79s, but that package is actually too small, and tends to be hard to solder. The SOD323 seems about right. I like the SMS7621/BAT15 and SMS3922, which are super-low capacitance but maybe not enough voltage or conductance for you.

PMEG4005EJ is tiny and 500 mA, but it's 50 pF.

You might look at BAS86 mini-melf or the BAT74 dual.

I've characterized an Avago (now Broadcom) e-phemt as a diode. Numbers like 1 amp, 0.4 Vf, 1 pF. That's a big one.

lunatic fringe electronics

Would use of the (pun) BAER die be of help?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Looking at RF parts, I see 200 mA and under 1 pf

but I'm not clear on package sizes (and unsure what the figure of merit is).

Reply to
whit3rd

Am 08.12.2017 um 05:49 schrieb John Larkin:

That looks interesting as a low noise mixer or phase detector.

A normal ring mixer has to much ohmic resistance, at least 2 Schottkies in series in the ring, even more for high level. And some even have explicit resistors to generate some bias. (And I do not mean that half-thermal diode resistance)

With Schottkies you do not need to consider anything better than an AD797 as a post detector amplifier.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Those are nice small sc-70 low-capacitance parts. Hmm. the sc-70-3 may be more suitable than a sod-232, and there may be more diode choices in that package.

I'd characterize the mmbd330 as 1.5pF and 20mA, and the mmbd770 as 1.0pF and 10mA. Similar to some other very low-capacitance diodes I have. The bat54 at 6pF is a low-capacitance part, but I wonder if there's a small part with 200 or 300mA of current capability and maybe 10 or 15pF of capacitance at 1.5 volts.

The inductor current is 40mA at our 2.4-volt 10mA design load current, but Rob has been running his tests to 100mA, which means 400mA inductor current. He often sees excellent efficiency from 10 to 40mA.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes, I noticed and saved away John's plot last year. It'd be nice to get a logarithmic IV plot for a diode- connected e-phemt. John's ATF-50189 is a rather large one, in a SOT-89 package, and rather expensive. But there must be nice small low-cost alternate choices.

I haven't been paying attention, does the e-phemt have a substrate diode?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

But why? Because they have too much dead time?

I'm disappointed that controllers almost exclusively have fixed dead time, it's too much, and none have it adjustable into the negative range.

That's how you prevent body diode conduction and reduce switching loss. No need for diodes.

The LTC3810 application circuit is amusing. They toss in a B1100 across a

10A transistor as if it's going to do anything.

I measured. It does absolutely nothig for the thing it's intended to do, and only makes the circuit worse (incrementally so, for the reason you're concerned with).

A lot of LT apps (that one included) are utterly ignorant of EMC, also..

...But ah, you may ask: doesn't dead time make things worse? Only if you haven't matched the loop impedance to the switching impedance. Loop impedance is sqrt(L(loop) / Coss), and switching impedance is Vpk / Ipk. That, and you need a loop time constant pi*sqrt(L(loop)*Coss) comparable to the commutation time.

A long loop time constant does mean more energy storage, which means lower Fsw or a means of "stirring" that energy back into the supply (a "lossless" snubber). But somewhere between an unreactive loop (t_loop t_commutation) there is a loss minima and that is what you are shooting for.

t_loop also gives you the dead time vs. shoot through tolerance, i.e., how close to zero it needs to be to have seamless commutation without incurring excessive losses.

As for schottky, they exist on a continuum of junction size and width, with very little distinguishing things beyond that. The main thing left is high vs. low leakage.

So it would seem, to get low voltage drop, you need to take advantage of the low voltage requirement (was the 2.4V figure the PIV??). This alone will increase capacitance (thinner junction), but hopefully it will reduce the voltage drop more.

To that end, you need, like, a PMEG something or other, if they had a

Reply to
Tim Williams

How about using it in switch mode? Two phemts gate driven antiphase, with their drains alternately grounding the ends of a center-tapped transformer winding? That would have zero junction drop and very low Johnson noise resistance.

They don't seem to. Depending on what you connect the gate to, it can be a diode in either direction.

I'd expect that the ei curve would not be logarithmic, but that's a guess.

I use the ATF-50189s as switches, in laser drivers and such. Beautiful part... I hope they keep making it.

lunatic fringe electronics

That's a thought, ATF-50189, Rds(on) settling in on 1.0 ohms, for Vgs greater than 0.8 volts. Oops, way too high for us!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That's funny. I cannot read John's article. It's here, but impossible to display.

Yes, it should work this way. One would probably try to slow down the transistors somewhat, or one would mix down the noise on all harmonics up to daylight.

There is an article from NIST where they have made a ring mixer from 2N2222 that seems to have excellent 1/f behavior. They write that the 2N2222s work as diodes, but they do work as switching transistors, which is probably the reason why they are good.

<

I assume that your phemts would be even better at 100 MHz because they are faster and not driven into saturation the bipolar way.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

A little gate current really turns it on. There might be some sort of bipolar mechanism kicking in.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I can give it 5V gate drive, but need Rds(on) in the 50 to 200 milli-ohm region.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

UJTs are just JFETs that weren't made correctly (no pinchoff). A modest reduction in Rds(on) (maybe 2-3x) is typical, within gate current ratings.

Don't know how that affects speed, but it should slow it down. Like an IGBT, the minority carriers will tail off as drool.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I mis-spoke in earlier correspondence.

The surviving Philips body size is something they're calling an SOD1608, which measures 0.85mm x 1.65mm and is 0.5mm tall. So it's probably not physical body size that will be the issue.

The 100mA forward drop is 240mV typically and you couldn't ask for a lower forward overvoltage than this body size offers. The capacitance, though, is 60pF typically at 1V.

I'm looking through the lists for a lower current rating, assuming this capacitance will reduce accordingly.

RL

Reply to
legg

There's still distributor inventory for a variety of interesting NXP parts, like the PMEG2005 and PMEG4005, 500mA diodes. The '2005ej (20V, 66pF) comes in a sod-323 package and '4005et (40V, 43pF) in a sot-23 package. The '4005ej version and some others are still available from Arrow. I'll grab some of them.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The Avago e-phemts start to draw gate current around +0.75 volts, and they have a pretty low max allowed gate current, 12.5 mA I think. The gates are apparently fragile. We poke in the max allowed gate current when we really want to turn them on hard.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So drive it with 5V in series with say 4V/10mA = 390 ohms?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

That might slow it down a bit, by our standards. Maybe put a small cap in parallel?

I seem to recall measuring Rds-on, but can't find the data. I'll do that again. The RF boys never spec stuff like that... just Smith charts and tables of s-params. Avago actually gives some DC curves, which is unusual.

Some of the terminals on some phemts are called RF IN and RF OUT and GROUND. They pretend the parts are amplifiers, not fets.

lunatic fringe electronics

I haven't seen a speed reduction when the gate conducts. Maybe it's not a bipolar action, but Id jumps abruptly with gate current, more than I would have expected from the small increase in Vg.

I recently discovered that a guy lives across the street from me who is an engineer at Avago, for these very same parts. I'll ask him. He must have a hell of a commute down to Santa Clara from here.

Bob Pease used to live close to here too. He did a lot of driving.

lunatic fringe electronics