How to make, where to buy, order 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz crystal/ ceramic resonators

Hi,

how to make a crystal /ceramic oscilator for a specicfied frequency in kHz range ? Is it posssible to make one on myself, or find someone to make it ? What is a minimum order quantity for a crystal/c eramic resonator for a specified frequency (kHz) ? Please help me.

Reply to
la-la

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:34:36 -0800, la-la Has Frothed:

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Try a CD4060 -

Then you can use a sane crystal freq. ;-)

Or, you could look into "tuning fork crystals", which is the type of the

32.768KHz crystal in your wristwatch.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

We have many tens of thousands of crystal oscillator modules in stock at fifty cents each.

Our lowest frequencies are 28.8 kHz, 108 kHz, 153.6 kHz, 250 kHz, 256 kHz, 307.2 kHz, 326.4 kHz plus hundreds of higher frequencies.

In general, it is usually cheaper and simpler to use a higher frequency and a CMOS binary divider.

Also in general, if your system does not use a crystal frequency of

32.768 kHz or 3.59545 MHz, you should flush it and start over.
--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Oops.

Should be 3.579545 of course.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

On a sunny day (Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:19:46 -0700) it happened Don Lancaster wrote in :

Poor guy ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Don Lancaster wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

32.768 kHz is 2^15 Hz

Where does 3.579545 MHz come from?

Reply to
Robert

So, if I need a 4 MHz clock for a CPU, I should scrap it and make it a lot more complex to use a color burst crystal? How about those 10- MHz frequency standards? Show me a SIMPLE design for a TCXO to proved a low distortion 10 MHz signal from a 3.5795454545 crystal. Yes, i know that it can be done, but why? There are dozens of common, off the shelf crystal frequencies that are dirt cheap.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The speed of sound in quartz is (depending on shear vs. compression wave)

400 to 600 m/second; so a quartz slab resonant at 3.579 MHz is a tenth of a millimeter thick. Those (AT cut typically) are mass-produced for television sets, and are inexpensive and available off the shelf.

At 15 kHz, an AT quartz resonator would need to be (in size) about 200 times that,

2 cm thick (and broader than it is thick, so it'd be a Frisbee-sized disk). They don't make those, as far as I know. Normal mortals couldn't afford one.

For wristwatches, a tuning-fork is used, and one can micromachine it from quartz and laser-trim its weighted tines for frequency and couple to it using the quartz material's piezoelectric properties. Those are mechanical oscillators with non-quartz parts, but they still get called 'quartz resonators'. The common frequencies are mass-produced, and that means 32.000 kHz and 32.768 are available, but not the lower frequencies you ask about.

The typical resonators used for 5 kHz are tuning forks and guitar strings, or they aren't mechanical at all...

Reply to
whit3rd

Not all of us are trying to build TV Typewriters for $5 or less, Don. :-)

But if you can find me some way to get VHF and low UHF signals down to a 45MHz IF with 32kHz and colorburst crystals, I'd love to hear it!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

This guy came close , quartz ring, not a frisbee, but close :

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

But color burst crystals are free, if the neighbor tosses their TV. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Statek used to be the original source for tuning fork style crystals, which is what you need at low kilohertz frequencies.

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

--
You beat me to it!

These are wonderful people.
Reply to
John Fields

Reply to
la-la

time you told us why you want one of this freq. Without that, who knows what options are most suitable. App, quantity, tolerance and so on.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Reply to
la-la

Why do you need crystals? A tunable audio generator, of function generator would work well at those frequencies.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Since this is just a test, and since you are using audio frequencies, why not just use a standard audio function generator? If you really need a stable audio frequency, you might want to check out my DaqGen freeware. It generates audio frequency waveforms with your Windows soundcard. Frequency stability is excellent since it derives from the crystal in the sound card. And unlike a homebrew circuit, you can get low-distortion sine waves, or just about any other waveshape you can imagine. Then if your experiments uncover anything worth following up, you can always build a dedicated circuit when you know just what the ideal parameters are.

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Hi Michael, this is completely off topic, but I have beeen trying to send an order to you over two weeks...is your email working..I am the guy from Australia.

Reply to
Al