6V White Noise Circuit

ale

No, I'd be willing to bet the sound card is way too noisy to be useful as a source at these levels. The diode bias supply has only a few nV/ rt Hz of noise. The sound card would be useful as the detector/ FFT analyzer.

George H.

quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

)

oise

tion

light

the

se at

and

ost

ld net

,

has

te,

s a

er

ale

t -

Yeah, I first thought it was some excess noise in the diode, but then noticed that to BW was dropping at the higher currents... as you say, more noise gain. With a lower voltage noise opamp I could have extended the linear range.

Say is that why even a low voltage zener would be a better noise source? (The dynamic impedance is higher.) What is the dynamic impedance of a zener?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

My preference for noise sources is shot noise or thermal noise. Zeners have weird behaviour, and anything involving avalanches is liable to be destructive, and so change that behaviour over time.

To use forward conduction shot noise, I'd probably use a diode-connected transistor with the cathode grounded, followed by a noninverting amp. To be fancy, one could use a dual diode such as a BAV99K, like this. That gets you sqrt(2) times the noise and gets rid of most of the DC offset. A MAT14 with two diode-connected transistors per side would get you twice the noise and pretty well get rid of the DC drift as well.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

OP27 or something VCC |\

0--RRRR------*----------------------|+\ | | >----------*---0 | GND *-|-/ | | | | |/ | | | | | | | | | | | *-----R2R2------* | | | | | R --- --- 1 BAV99K \ / \ / R V V 1 --- --- | | | | *------------* GND | | | R/2 R/2 R/2 R/2 | | VEE | 0------------*
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Software

The right sort of scrambler could increase the run length.

John

scale

de quoted text -

With 10k ohm input impedance, it's already got a heavy hit against it for nV/rtHz

Yeah just put one of those 1nV/rtHz Linear parts in front of it with a gain of 100 and the soundcard is waaaaay below

Reply to
Robert Macy

The transistor will produce much more noise than the zener. Manufacturers have worked to reduce the noise from the zener, not so for the transistor. The MPSH-10 costs 12 cents in one-offs from futurelec

David Eather

mp)

noise

nction

in light

m the

oise at

th and

boost

an

ould net

gh,

nt has

late,

ses a

rier

l to

scale

, I

=A0 =A0OP27 or something

| =A0>----------*---0

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 |

R2R2------*

Oh more 'fancy' tricks, with diodes. But I'm hip to that now.

How much noise can you get out of this? Let's just stick to the single diode with cathode grounded.

I crunched a few numbers and got less than I would from just a resistor.... (Say I run 100uA through it, current noise is sqrt(2*e*I) =3D

5.6e**-12 x Rdiode (250 ohms) ~ 1.4nV/rtHz.... Not worth the trouble. (Unless I made some silly mistake.)

George H.

t -

Reply to
George Herold

One of thsese

coupled to one of these-

Although # 2 probaly makes a fair white noise generator all by it's self :)

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

.

And how do they do that? The semiconductor physics don't give them a lot of options.

Newark offers the ON-Semi MMBZ5223BLT1G 2.7V Zener for 3.5 cents (one- off) in an SOT-23 packages, There are slightly cheaper parts further down the list.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yes, I tried the zener idea. No Go. The amp produced more noise. I will try an RF transistor next.

Have done digital noise gen before, but the parts count was too high for my app.

I do recall one manufacturer producing a dedicated white noise IC, but I understood it is no longer available.

Leo

Reply to
Leo Kemp

Try these guys:

John S

r.

What circiut? Something similar to what Phil posted? You might try sticking the zener into a TIA. But I don't think low voltage zeners are going to give much more noise than pn diodes.

I know squat about uP's but why not a pseudo-random bit stream that get's mixed up... Like Tim and others suggested. That seems to me to be lower parts count than any analog method.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ers

tor.

Any idea how much one of the diodes costs? (I won't ask about the modules)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

light

net

The shot noise voltage on a PN junction looks just like a resistor equal to the junction resistance at a temperature of T_amb/2.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Large junction area (big cap)

David Eather

I've use the transistor before - I'd post a circuit but considering the trouble I am having with another circuit... Depending on the frequency and resolution you need an 8 pin micro might work. I got 20kHz+ from an 12F683 running at 20MHz and using 5 binary weighted resistors as a DAC.

Reply to
David Eather

3v

wn

ge

It's not that big. As I mentioned, this would only be a factor if you wanted very high frequency noise, which the OP doesn't seem to need.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I seem to racall pricing starting at $10 or some such, much more for deep microwave stuff.

They do have some parts that make nice noise at low currents. Tiny junctions maybe? I'd suspect that a microwave transistor b-e junction might be similar.

Somebody with time could research zener noise versus voltage, junction area, stuff like that.

John

The use of avalanche in gas tubes (where the ions can erode the terminals) has some aging issues, but Zener breakdown, if the diode is a 'buried' type (without surface-of-die lateral currents) one wouldn't need to worry much about aging at low current. The more significant problem is in selecting devices that haven't got significant mode-hopping current fluctuations (some zeners at low current have multiple quasistable states). That, I presume, is what you're calling 'weird behaviour'. I really like avalanche, because it offers SO MUCH broadband power gain, the rest of the amplification job is greatly simplified.

Reply to
whit3rd

Don't know what to say. In the experiments I did the transistor junctions were an order of magnitude or more nosier than OTS zener diodes

Reply to
David Eather