4XXX CMOS Levels: VIL/VIH (1/3..2/3 vs 30%..70% VDD)

I'm trying to put this in perspective, but I haven't found a satisfying answer.

You have a 1/3 VDD and 2/3 VDD as described below for logic levels:

(under Logic voltage levels).

And yet the datasheet values are often values that represent 30%/70%. Then there is Don Lancaster's CMOS Cookbook, which speaks of 30% and 70% levels (page 19 of the 2nd edition).

Obviously, the manufacturer's datasheet has the final say, not to mention that 1/3VDD and 30% VDD are close.

But it strikes me strange that we have these two "rules" in use. Can anyone expand on this?

Warren

Reply to
Warren

yone expand on this?

The main point is that a great many noobs get misled by the "complementary" in the name 'CMOS'. They interpret it as meaning "symmetric", and so expec t the logic threshold to be near V_DD/2, which it frequently isn't.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

People are just estimating what would be reliable levels; there are no rules. Check actual data sheets.

Most CMOS parts actually slice a bit below Vcc/2, 45% maybe. But they might draw a lot of power if an input is far from either rail. And might oscillate near the transition point. So people push the low/high specs close to the rails.

HCT parts are deliberately asymmetric, so a 5 volt HCT part is "TTL" compatible, with input limits like 0.8 and 2.4 volts, something like that. Lots of sundry cmos parts have HCT-type inputs.

And then there are the Schmitt parts.

lunatic fringe electronics

I am aware of derivative families, particularly LVC and HCT. The need for level translation has had me studying datasheets lately, and consequently the treatment of VIL, VIH, VOL, VOH etc.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

It's the same rule: 30% / 70% is 1/3VDD / 2/3VDD rounded to one significant digit. Anyone who makes use of the distinction is in trouble anyway...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred