4 bit decoder question?

They sure do. The 74HC259 is an 8bit addressable latch. Just select your address, put the data you want on the data input and toggle the enable line to set that output without affecting the other outputs. Make sure you keep the enable input disabled while changing address line, otherwise you can corrupt the outputs.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Greetings Gents,

Simple question. I would like to selectively turn ON / OFF any one of

16 SSR's using a 4 bit address, obviously I'd use another bit to select the state I would like the previously addressed device to have.

I've been looking at a few decoder / demultiplexers like the 74HCT154. I was excited for a moment, but then realized that I'd have to come up with a latching scheme for the outputs.

Do they make a DIP chip that already includes some type of state addressable output with out altering the un-addressed states? If not any simple ideas on the best way to approach this hardware problem? (I'm sure I'm not the first fool to want to do something like this :)

OH yea, if your curious, I just want to "Geek Out" with Christmas lights this year :)

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

Thank You Dave! :)

I have enough output pins, I can run two of these directly w/o out having to do anything fancy. Oh yea, this is going to be fun!

Thanks again!

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

site)

And the problem with a PIC is...?

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

If you want to control the 74hct259 from the parallel port The below links have some simple info. The bottom link is if you want to really get geeky with the christmas lights.

Si Ballenger

Oh Boy :)

I only have a qty of 52, 30 amp SSRs on hand, but I might be able to scrounge up some more off Ebay :)

I find it funny how a project's mental state goes from "It could be done" to "It has been done, and more so than originally thought possible"

Thanks for the links!

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

None of course, just me and printer ports get a long really good so far.

Take Care, James Lerch

(My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
(My 15Kw generator project) Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Calvin Coolidge

Reply to
James Lerch

site)

Hey,

Where did you get that neat 15kW generator head? About how much did it cost?

:)

Reply to
onehappymadman

I believe that's called "The 'AHA!' Moment", or some such, and AFAIC, is one of the fundamental reasons folks hang out in USENET NGs. :-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ebay, just shy of a grand for both the diesel and generator head. Works, but I believe it would be physically impossible for the diesel to be any louder w/o having a major mechanical failure. Most of the noise is from the 1.2liter intake stroke.

Ran the whole house, plus two extension cords for the neighbors, for

3 hours after the last hurricane came thru, consuming just over a gallon of diesel, and yes, we ran the AC, water heater, AND the washer/dryer, felt kinda neat.

It did drop line frequency from no-load of 61hz to 59hz when the HVAC unit started up, but other than that it chugged right along.

Still a lot of "things" I'd like to do with it, but for the moment it's portable and works.