3 phase from func.gen. IC

Yeah. These electronic types loose me when they start talking about 61 Hz or higher.

Free the Mallocs!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Not really, just an expletive indicating annoyance.
Reply to
John Fields

Let's see, your brilliant corrections include

Disputing whether unboundedly large things can be properly referred to as "infinite"

and

Correcting me when I said a divisor can be programmed from 1 to 128, without specifying the programming step size. I did say that three pins did the selection, which some people would take as a clue.

And JT calls me prissy!

John

Would you prefer "pompous" ?:-)

Please post a schematic. I need a field day. ...Jim Thompson

How loose? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

--
Even in the original context, where you claimed that switching relays
exhibit infinite gain, they _cannot_ because the power used to switch

--
I'm pretty sure he'd prefer: "Your Majesty".

JF
Reply to
John Fields

On a sunny day (Wed, 17 Mar 2010 16:14:09 -0700) it happened "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in :

Yes, I remember we had a 50 Hz frequency meter in the lab, it consisted of some metal tongues resonating at 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, etc. Each tongue had the frequnecy written above it. Big thing :-) The one that vibrated the most indicated the frequency.

frequency

48 49 50 51 52 = = = = =
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You must be another nym of AlwaysWrong. He's obscessed with how I use a cleaning machine, and you're obscessed with how I once used the word "infinite."

But it is strappable for those frequencies.

Not people who can figure out that 3 bits only have 8 states.

And anybody who is picky about details can always read the datasheet.

And JT calls me prissy!

I said that three pins were "strappable" to set the frequency. Are you now going to open a debate about whether SPI programming is a special case of strapping?

We're also using some tiny surface-mount VCXOs whose frequency *can* truly be programmed over a very wide range... to PPB resolution.

John

"Guilt by association", huh?

Tricky...

Hardly "obscessed", I just like to use that little incident every now
and then to point out that you have feet of clay and how far you'll go
to try to deny that you don't.
Reply to
John Fields

Read my post. I said that I was at home, speaking from memory, and that I didn't recall the exact part number. Given that, I only said things that were true. When I got to work and looked it up, I did post the LTC part number, at which point anybody interested could look it up and get all the gory details. I never said anything about the part that wasn't true.

When I got to work and checked the part number, that's what I did.

You don't know what pin strapping means?

The same thing as what?

We were discussing oscillators, and new types of oscillators are an interesting offshoot. As you get older, you can settle into doing 555 circuits over and over, "the same thing", or you can keep up on new things that are possible. I think it's fun to talk about and design with new things.

A couple of other people make similar any-frequency XOs and VCXOs.

Now you can run to the dictionary and start a debate about the meaning of "any." Enjoy.

John

That's how underfrequency/overfrequency relaying was implemented in power systems. There are two contacts that can be adjusted laterally to sit under the reed that corresponded to the desired trip frequency. When that reed began to vibrate, it would touch the contact, initiating a protection trip.

I'm sure the utility I used to work for still uses this level of technology.*

*Back before the millennium rolled over, a friend of mine asked me if any Y2K bugs would leave us all in the dark. I told him that we made it through the 1899 - 1900 change just fine and not much has changed since then.
--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.