3.3 to 5 volt interface

Anyone know of a really simple way to drive a 3.3 volt output into a 5 Volt device?

I need to be able to a 50Mhz clock into a 5 volt device and it's surprising difficult to do this...

thanks...

Reply to
newinwa

NO IT IS NOT! Even a CMOS 5V input requires no more than 5 x(0.7-0.3)=2Vpp for guaranteed operation, and you have probably 3Vpp. Bias the 5V input at 5V/2 DC, with a resistor divider, and ac-couple the clock into it, with a capacitor.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Transistor? If you don't mind inverting the clock. Else, two transistors. Total cost, about $0.30.

How about a SN74LVC1G06 ? It's a single open drain buffer in sot-23 or sot-323 packaging, runs on 3.3v or 5v Vcc, and accepts either 3.3v or

5v logic input. Use a pullup to whatever Voh you need. About $0.44.
Reply to
DJ Delorie

"newinwa" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:44e32191$0$11970$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

74LVC4245
Reply to
Michael Schlegel

DC--DC step-up converter, maybe? (Not sure if I read the whole question.)

Reply to
almo

Use a pull-up resistor at the input and a diode between the two devices (anode to input of driven device and cathode to output of driving device).

HS

Reply to
Howard

If the 5V device has TTL input thresholds, you don't have to do anything. For instance, a 3.3V device can drive a 74ACTxxx directly. If you can't pick the 5 V device, use a 74ACT32 as a buffer.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Thanks for the diode idea ..I was thinking about that one today. Have to be a pretty fast diode tho...

I have ZLL400 that might do...I'll try that

The thresholds are Vih=3.5V Vil=1. The 3.3 oscillator works but is out of spec...and not available in 5 volt (its spread spectrum)

thanks again for your thoughts

Reply to
newinwa

Typical- the nitwit zeroes in on the most wholly out-of-spec and worthless "solution."

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Typical - the twit dishes out sarcastic criticism without any hint of help.

I have learned that people do best what they feel they are most capable of.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yeah- and in your case that is absolutely NOTHING! You're a goddammed loudmouth heckling from the bleachers as usual. *I* already told him to use ac-coupling. Where is your post, you fat-faced lethargic pos?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Q.E.D.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Is that the best you can do? Think so. You avoided answering where your post is because there was none. You're a typical spectator leach. Maybe you're that same passive-aggressive flake "Bob Monsen"- whatever, take a hike.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

You can be assured that my ability in your chosen field will always pale beside yours. Since my advice or examples will always be useless to you or to anyone who feels that your inputs are of value, then you should ignore me forever. Plonk me now!

Is that passive-aggressive enough for you?

Were you able to read between the lines?

Reply to
Richard Henry

You really have a certain gelatinous and spineless way of communicating, very much in keeping with your character , or lack thereof. You refuse to answer any questions put to you, because you are a sham of a man, and you refuse to acknowledge that your initial criticism of my participation in the thread was dead wrong, and actually more applicable to the likes of you. Somewhere along the way someone mislead you into believing your ideas, opinions, and say in matters was important. Whoever did that was either deceiving you or starved for babble. Why don't you go loiter down by the fountain at the mall like a good little retiree.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Sorry, not retired yet.

The reason I didn't reply with advice was that the method I would have suggested had already been presented. There were several excellent suggestion, most of them better than yours.

Reply to
Richard Henry