1pSec Jitter

Technici should be open minded: "nothing is impossible untill it's proven" at my work we've a 128 channel 32 (or 34) bit AD converter !! Stef

Reply to
Stef Mientki

I was getting ~27 bits out of a ADS1252 (after averaging). That is only a $6 part.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Just curious: what is it used for ?

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

Ok, that *is* a bit more high-tech then recording and playing a bit of music, I guess :) Interesting technology !

Poor squids!

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

magnetoencephalography (MEG), functional brain imaging, by measuring the magnetic field form active neurons with squids. Stef

Reply to
Stef Mientki

Then you'd have to buy the amp and speaker to reproduce the recording!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I'd think that when you get to a rocket launch or a large bomb blast, you probably won't need to worry too much about preamplifying the signal... ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Stef probably means SQUIDs. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It'd be interesting to do an experiment where you sense magnetic fields in the body during emotional stimulation - i.e., like watching a good movie, or listening to some good music, or picking a fight...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

All shock waves are supersonic. That's why it's a shock wave and not an ordinary sound wave. There's a big increase in entropy in its wake, too.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Heavy thoughts ?

--
:wq
^X^Cy^K^X^C^C^C^C

I think that's Leiden, we're just looking for brain waves. Stef

Reply to
Stef Mientki

No, at the ID Stef

Reply to
Stef Mientki

Years ago, I saw a satellite video of Mt. St. Helens going off, and it sent out what must have been a shock wave all the way to the next-door states. In the vid, it happened in seconds, but I have no idea what the time-scale was compared to real-time. But it looked like the sort of condensation wave that you see with shock waves. I've done a little searching, but haven't really found out anything about it, and I guess MSH is pretty much old news these days.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"ID" ? The Donders Centre does have an MEG

but I guess you'd have to be tied up to the Radboud hospital

but none of the departments listed there seem to qualify as "ID"

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Is a supersonic shockwave the explanation of the effect one sometimes notices with a nearby lightning strike: see the flash, & hear almost simultaneously a sharp crack, like a stick snapping. A second or so later, comes the boom. So that crack must have been supersonic?

Reply to
David R Brooks

Did the "sharp crack" come out of your radio?

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Much simpler explanation. The speed of sound varies with frequency.

More details at:
Reply to
Chuck F.

Or more likely that the audio attenuation is frequency (and temperature dependant).

If you have a lightning that hits close to you, it might still be 1-2 km long. You will hear the local hit immediately with all high frequency components present.

However, the sound from the tail of the lightning will arrive 6 seconds later with all high frequency components attenuated and you will just hear the rumble.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

I assumed something in our house wiring was arcing over. Speed of light, you know.

Reply to
grg