120 Degree Phase Shift Osc.

Viewsonic is normally a decent brand? :-) ...but these days, of course, there are only a small number of actual LCD panel manufacturers, and dozens of companies adding the housing and electronics. The only monitor I've ever had die was some generically-named one; none of the ones I've had from Asus, Dell, LG, Viewsonic, or Samsung have ever had problems.

I'd suggest going here:

... narrow down the choices by the size and resolution you're after, and then have it sort by "customer ratings."

If you decide you like widescreen monitors, I've got a pair of these:

(23",

1920x1080 resolution)... that you could have cheap... :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Maybe just the backlight inverter? Also, check the VGA cable.

Don't know. I just bought a Viewsonic 27" (model VA2792w), 1920 by 1080 pixels. Worked right out of the box, happy with it. Especially about the fact that it cost under $300 via Walmart Online.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Plugged into another monitor... works fine.

Maybe two of these...

...Jim Thompson

Particularly since I'm pretty sure my VA912b's are CFL back-lit ?? ...Jim Thompson

Dang.

If you can live with 19", why not? Personally I'd go for a 1080-line model. Not sure if you have to check many IC layouts in great detail. I have to (mostly circuit board stuff though) and all I can say is that going from 21" to 27" widescreen made a huge difference for me.

Then when writing the change instructions I pull up a small screen over it or do that on another PC to the left of me. I guess it might be possible to have this 27" and a 19" together as a dual-monitor setup, I just do not need that.

They usually all are. LED versions would be more pricey. So far I've never have a backlight fail on me. Knocking on wood.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

IC layouts are automatically checked for everything via LVS (layout versus schematic), checks connectivity, device sizes, component values and adherence to spacing rules. All I ever look at is making sure the layout guy followed my matching and symmetry rules.

The two I mentioned above are only $139 each.

I like dual monitors with schematic on the left, simulation on the right, but I suppose I could "make do" with a 27" wide-screen, and size and place the two windows side-by-side. ...Jim Thompson

Automatic netlist checks (what you guys call LVS) are always done, even among us circuit guys. That's where integrated CAD systems usually excel but I've rarely seen automatic checking miss stuff even when going from Orcad or Eagle to PADS or something like that.

But in the few chips I am involved in there is a great deal of spikey HV stuff going on. So we must check by hand, just like with sensitive discrete circuits. Also for heat and such. These chips are disposable, not meant to live more than xx hours so we can do things that would otherwise not be possible.

That's what I do now when drawing schematics. I always write the module spec at the same time, now I rarely need the 2nd PC.

What I'll never understand: The screen on those Viewsonics is very nicely de-glared. No reflections even though the office window is in my back. And then they put that super high gloss plastic bezel around it which reflects like crazy. Hurumph!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'm thinking about getting a Samsung with LED backlight. Where I (almost used to) work the Samsung monitors seem an excellent choice. Also Samsung gets very good reviews from users.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Almost used to? Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon :-)

[..]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Screwed up?!? Well... Euhhh... Sort of maybe... I hope not... The thing is I quit to be self employed full-time. Just two more days.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Samsungs are popular. Never seen a problem with them. However, I don't care for their screens' viewing angles. But they are cheap. If you find a 16:10 go for it, more screen area.

Martin Riddle
[snip]

These VA912b's have a _very_flat_black_ finish on the bezel. ...Jim Thompson

(snip)

Maybe you should visit

sometime and check out the number of pages/threads dedicated to Samsung.

Reply to
who where

I just finished replacing three capacitors in a Samsung SyncMaster 931b monitor. This seems to be a common problem, and although it took me fifteen minutes to get the thing opened, and five minutes to replace them with ones I found at a local Radio Shack, it was a PITA. The total cost was under $5.00 for the parts.

--
Virg Wall
Reply to

Strange, it's the same manufacturer. Beats me what rode them when they designed this bezel.

Hey, maybe I make a woody out of it. That ought to fix the reflections. Must find veneer to match my desk surface :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hey, congratulations, welcome to the club then!

--
Regards, Joerg  (self-employed and happy like a fish in the water)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You just enjoy refusing all those employment offers you get. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Can't put no pressure on the back you know...

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Real hackers put friction tape over it. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Seconded. The water's fine.

New kid gets to buy the beer for the first month!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs