and

llel

uA,

bit

by

heme

't

ip-

There's really no reason for a full blown dds, you are free to pick the sample rate so and you could get away with a much smaller lookup table. Imagine

4.41KHz sampled at 44.1KHz it is only 10 different values, but I'm sure coming out of a CD play it looks pretty good

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Ah, the Key ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
Jamie

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

Back around the beginning of February 2010, titled "Bad Cap" on "abse". The photos are on my works machine, if you cant find the articles let me know and I'll Email copies to you.

The photos are from a laptop machine that was less than six months old. The supplier refused to replace the machine, even though it had played up from new.

Subsequently the owner sued and won.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Light bulb? What light bulb? They are always in the dark. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's PUTZ, you putz.

Pot, kettle, black.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Giganews has ABSE headers back to April 2009, but no messages older than May of this year.

So much for their claim of two year retention of Binaries:

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ny

If

new

seem

t a

draw

in

stic

raw

ption

e've

with

ound

hough

ould

and

llel

uA,

bit

by

heme

You don't even need the DACs if you use pulse width modulation. The current drain on the PLD gets up into the low milliamps.

Roughly. Not having played with whatever software Xilinx makes available for programming their CoolRunners, I can't be all that confident, but I used to be able to do useful stuff with rather fewer macrocells in the ICT PA7024 using their PLACE software, and this seems to be a fairly minor extrapolation. In PLACE you would have had to type out the logic equations for a full adder ...

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

@f>

0 (PST)) it happenedBillSloman

BillSloman

T),BillSloman

(PDT),BillSloman

iny

If

new

lue

ep,

sec

goes

It's an over-kill, but one that keeps the rest of the circuit pretty simple. As soon as you start needing to do serious filtering on the signal going into the relay coils, life gets more complicated and expensive.

You'd need to worry about the parallel capacitance and the self- resonant frequency. Multilayer coils can have a lot of parallel capacitance which could lead to quite nasty switching spikes on the power rails if you drove the coil directly.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

ew

seem

draw

tic

aw

tion

've

ith

und

ough

uld

and

lel

A,

it

eme

Martin Brown pointed out the sine+cosine to three phase route very early on in this thread.

It's direct digital synthesis in being direct and digital. It doesn't have much to do with the Analog Devices chips and isn't anything like as powerfull.

Field programmable gate arrays are just another form of programmable logic.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

happenedBillSloman

:

an

ote:

loman

ility, and doesn't i=3D

o point out -

t to be. JA can

ly out-think you wit=3D

e it when you say

d, who was delighted

han he was.

nce. If you can't

nics.design, you

PWM a 10Hz

"AA" cells."

ssed that.

ly use "a

lking about

ntation

few mA at

ip

isn't

e done at

e OP's

rawn

ng, but

I wonder why my referring back to what I posted on November 5 constitutes "shifting the goal posts"? I'd say that it rather supports the point that I've been saying the same thing all along, not that krw seems to be able to understand any of it.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

--
Dunno... Is it something about candles?

BTW, here's a little-known (I believe) difference between identical
pots, one wired as a rheostat and the other  wired as a voltage
divider:

To a first approximation, the rheostat's tempco will be that of the
wire it's wound with, while the pot's will be zero.

How so?

Well, it's clear to see that if the rheostat heats up and its
resistance changes because of that, then the current in it will change
if the load resistance remains constant.

For the pot, however, since the voltage on the wiper will depend on
the ratio of the resistances it straddles, that ratio won't change
with temperature changes as long as the changes are isothermal and the
current through the wiper causes negligible self-heating of the
resistive element.

What's interesting about that, I think, is that you can use pots with
schlock tempcos for rather precise work because, for a voltage
divider,:

     E1

    [R1]

     +----E2

    [R2]

    GND

           E1*R2
     E2 = -------
           E1+R2
Reply to
John Fields

Which is obviously wrong.

John

Wow

I am surprised at you..

Last time I went to school. (long ago)..

Potentiometer = Potential Metering device, made from any type of material or means of delivery the reference or regulating the current with metering ability.

You can call a Rheostat a Pot.

Rheostats on the other hand do have properties that differ out of the normal.

High power, Open frame construction, Not very safe to work around and they come in all flavors. 2,3 or more terminals, as rotary or sliding resistor types.. The key his is, Open construction for heat

Regardless of how you put your eggs in the basket, they are all Potentiometers, because of their job they do, not the construction. The Rheostat does signify constructions for means of high power handling via a resistor base.

Hell, I've seen Rheostats made with a steel strip as the resistor path and required you to unlock nuts to turn it.. That baby ran hot!

Don't listen to me, I am just a back yard hill billy. Oh well, back to what I was doing..

Reply to
Jamie

--
Wow! That was fast!

I had no idea you were so smitten by me that you had to reply to my
error almost instantly.

You're right, of course.

           E1*R2
     E2 = -------
           E1+R2

should have been written:

           E1*R2
     E2 = -------
           R1+R2

Thanks for the correction.
Reply to
John Fields

Of course you're wrong, as usual.

Which, of course, is irrelevant.

Why didn't you say that in the first sentence!

Reply to
krw

Perhaps (the difference between a CPLD and FPGA is pretty close to eight letters, anymore), but the Altera MaxII parts have 8K user flash, which is just as good for this application.

I'd probably agree but a MaxII is only a buck or two as well. The uC would likely easier for most to get working.

Reply to
krw

I can see why they criticize you , because you deserve it..

40 years or experience tells me that I am correct, along with education.

go blow it out your wind pipe..

What a waste of air and BW you occupy..

Jamie..

Reply to
Jamie

PKB.

You're wrong, as always.

Ohh, I'm skeerd.

PKB.

Reply to
krw

You must be a laugh at interviews..

why do you have to be such a hypocrite? You mentally incapacitated excuse for a human.

Reply to
Jamie