1099-DIV

Well, did you receive any dividends or distributions? If your investments cancelled their dividends in 2012, as many companies hurting for cash have done, they don't need to send you a 1099-DIV. However, if you have received a dividend check in the mail from a brokerage representing your investment, you can login to an account at that brokerage, and print out the necessary documents. Some companies are doing that to save on the cost of postage.

I like tax time. I get plenty of service calls from accountants, enrolled agents, and individuals, trying to do taxes under stress. That's when mistakes and disasters tend to happen. It's a little for disaster season, but in a week or two, I should be quite busy.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

"Jamie" wrote in message news:sdu0t.14228$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.iad...

because you lost money?

Martin Riddle

Last year I received a 1099-DIV on March 3rd.

This year I had to send some 1099s and my local IRS office didn't get the forms until the third week of February. They said we got an extension until the end of February to mail them. In other words, I don't know. Mike

Reply to
amdx

Any one have an idea why I didn't receive one, when I have every year since I can remember, except this year.

I hate tax time.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

All the dividends were used to pay a rather large consulting fee to Romney who devised a plan by which your investmnet could avoid paying dividends.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

No, but I can find some reasons:-

Every time is tax time!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I wouldn't doubt that, I don't our electric company did very well with all the storms we had last year in CT.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Ever since the IRS moved April Fool's Day to the 15th.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No dividends from that company? Have they been late at times in the past?

Reply to
Robert Baer

In which case one might be lucky that there is no such thing as a NEGATIVE dividend..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hey, excellent idea!

Instead of simply never distributing a dividend, promising tech companies could raise money by declaring a negative dividend. Either sell before the xd date or fork over the money.

Apparently it has been done:-

Spehro Pefhany

That's a keeper!!!

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Kinda puts a nail in the whole concept of "limited liability" in a corporation, no?

Reply to
krw

I think your potential losses are still limited to the amount of your investment.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany