100mV DC supply

Hi All,

I have a need to generate +100mV DC to drive a load which is capable of sou rcing up to ~50mA but will typically see high impedance. Easily available I have a clean 24V source and 208VAC. My intent is to drop from 24V to ~1.8V using a buck converter then follow it up with a 1.0V precision shunt (ADR5

10 or other) followed by a 9:1 precision resistor divider. Buffer the 100mV output by a low noise single supply op-amp such as ltc1014. Although it lo oks like ltc1014 won't be able to source enough current so possibly followe d with a BJT?

Voltage drift is more important than precision for this application and +/- 3mV should be good enough. The environment the board will reside in is ~25 C +/- 5deg. The output voltage must not drift above ~130mV to prevent causi ng issues in the test chamber.

The voltage across the load is buffered, low-pass filtered (2-pole active = 1kHz) and multiplied by 10x before being sampled. The low pass filter f requency is chosen to preserve rise times in the ~500uS range.

I expect that the largest source of noise will not be from the shunt (70ppm /C), the resistor divider (25ppm/C), or the Op-Amp ~160uV but from the 5 fo ot run of cable to the test chamber and back and am interested in best prac tice shielding techniques to mitigate induced noise.

I'm not much of an electrical designer and haven't designed anything simila r to this before so I'm interested in hearing about other possible topologi es that can meet the requirements or how others would approach the problem. The solution will be put onto a pcb as part of a larger circuit so i canno t use a benchtop supply.

To summarize:

- Vin = +24V and/or 208VAC - Vout= 100mV DC +/- 2mV - Iout = up to 50mA into short circuit load

Thank you,

Mark

Reply to
Marke

-----------------

[...]

** Using the KISS principle, all you need is a 5V, 1Amp TO220 reg IC and 3 resistors. The resistors are 120ohm, 82ohm and 1ohm - all 1% types.

The 120ohm & 82ohm go in parallel to make 48.7ohms, then 1ohm in series acr oss 5V.

This makes a 1:49.7 divider so you get 100mV with a 1 ohm source impedance and a SCC of 100mA.

A small cap is also needed across the output of the reg IC for stability.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

[...]

The LM10 give you a 200mV reference voltage output which you could divde to exactly 100mV with 25-turn trim-pot. The op-amp part of the device could t hen buffer that voltage. You might have to load the output with a resistor ground, but the data sheet spells it all out.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

Yep, that's good for power efficiency. At 50 mA, that 1.8V won't take more than a tenth watt, though; what kind of buck converter is really designed for such a low load? There's probably other low voltage requirements you can combine

For 2 mV, your reference voltage requirement is a problem. A good low-voltage LDO at 0.8V output, with a 7:1 divider string (14 ohm pullup,2 ohm pulldown) has the right voltage, and only 2 ohms impedance (so your 50 mA current draws it down, but doesn't burn anything up). Would that work for you?

Reply to
whit3rd

[...]

Once you have +1.8V, why not something like this?

(view in Courier font) +1.8V Vref >---. -+- | | [R1] [R4] 20 | 100mV |\ | +----------|+\ |/ Q1 | | >---[R3]----| [R2] .---|-/ |>. | | |/ | === | | '--------------------+-----> Vout = +100mV | [1k] R5 | ===

Vout is a precision, low-impedance output. R4 provides short-circuit protection. R5 provides an optional minimum load.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[...]

cross 5V.

e and a SCC of 100mA.

Right, that's what I'd try. If you need a lower source impedance maybe buffer with an opamp. (Is there some dip opamp that does ~100mA besides the TCA0372?.. too lazy to troll Digikey.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[...]

across 5V.

nce and a SCC of 100mA.

y.

I interpret the OP as needing 100mV and holding +/-3mV for currents of

0
Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The best references are mostly in the 2.5 to 10 volt range, so you could use one of them and divide down. There's an LM4040 at 2.5 volts,

0.1%, fairly cheap. The ADR refs from ADI are amazing, tempcos down to 3 PPM, for a few dollars, so the ADR510 should be OK.

You might consider a 4-wire remote sense configuration to zap the error of 50 mA in the lead wires.

Susumu makes cheap 0.1% thin-film resistors with tempcos typically below 10 PPM.

2% tolerance should be easy, unless you have ground-loop issues. You could start with an isolated DC-DC converter.

lunatic fringe electronics

Looks like a TL431...

Reply to
bitrex

[...]

He only needs +/- 3% over 10oC, so that part should be pretty straight-forward. Even the humble LMV431 comes in 0.5%, jelly-bean from Digikey.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[...]

comes close.

The OP talks about a load that can source 50mA at +100mV, which seems to im ply that he wants an op amp that can sink 50mA from +100mV into the negativ e rail (ground here) which is asking a bit much, even from the MC33201.

You might be able to do it with an N-channel MOSFet - most op amps could dr ive a big-enough MOSFET gate hard enough to let the MOSFet sink 50mA to gro und from +100mV. The capacitative load would make the circuit a pain to fre quency compensate, and you'd probably have to dump in a few extra mA from t he positve rail to keep everything tidy when the load was high impedance.

The rest of thread makes it sounds as if he wants to deliver 50mA into the load at +100mV, which is much less difficult.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

[...]

The TL431 is shunt, though, sucking maximum current all the time, and outpu ts

2.5V where the OP requested 100mV.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[...]

es across 5V.

dance and a SCC of 100mA.

ity.

Sure... you know my opamp idea is probably not so good. I used an opamp as a voltage reference in a circuit and then found when I hung a bunch of bypass caps on the output... It sang for me. :^)

Your circuit with transistor would be better.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Some opamps, especially RRO types, are c-load stable.

Almost any opamp is c-load stable with enough C!

lunatic fringe electronics

ote:

[...]

eries across 5V.

mpedance and a SCC of 100mA.

bility.

mA

I once put a 100,000uF low e.s.r. capacitor on the output of a SMPS. It cleaned up the load-step response nicely.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Thank you everyone for the input, very much appreciated.

I am not overly concerned about efficiency in this design so dividing down a linear regulator does seem like a much easier approach.

James: Thank you for the hint to view in courier font, i had wondered how the hell everyone on here was parsing this style of schematic. I think this would work well

Bill: I definitely misspoke in saying that I need a load which can source 50mA, it is the simpler issue of driving a resistive load with +100mV and having it draw up to 50mA.

John: Thank you for the input. Adding two extra wires for for a kelvin arrangement doesn't complicate matters too much so I'll throw together two test setups and see how much of a difference it makes.

My plan at this point is to build several different topologies and compare. Probably overkill but I get to build up a few different quick test beds and I'm sure will learn more in the process.

Mark

Reply to
Marke

ote:

[...]

Huh, OK, I didn't know that. Too late now. (I think I had a dual opamp, so I inverted twice and rolled of the inverters with big C's.)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Not to completely derail all the helpful discussion but google groups seems like a horrible way to view these topics. I assume most people use a usenet reader of some kind?

Reply to
Marke

Not to completely derail the topic but it sure seems like using google groups to view these threads is a horrible way to go about it. I assume most people use a usenet client of some kind?

Reply to
Marke