0-5V square wave to sine wave with zero crossing?

Fred, I was snooping around the open lab today and ran across a small transformer. I used a function generator set at 0-5V and connected it to one side and looked at the other side with a scope. The output was this squarish 8Vpp wave that crossed zero, by adding a random cap i got almost a sine wave. I tried this on my car but still nothing on the speedo. I plan on building a FET or a BJT switch using a open collector buffer like a 7406 and driving the transformer on 14V.

-Rich

Reply to
newsrichie

At what frequency?

It's probably too late to check it out, but it's possible that the original sender unit was part of a circuit in the speedometer.

For instance I can recall cruise controls that used an LC oscillator (inductor located at a wheel) that was quenched by a passing metal protrusion on the wheel.

You probably should begin by perusing shop manuals to find out how original and replacement are supposed to work.

...Jim Thompson

flamme kuchen ?:-) (Hope my spelling is not too far off.)

...Jim Thompson

Yea, I much of my experimenting has been flawed and done non systematically. I've just been messing around between classes or when ever i have a free moment. I am going to wait till i have more time before i do anymore testing.

The original transmission is still on the car, it has 2 sensors a main shaft and counter shaft. The original counter shaft sensor is compatible with the new transmission. It just that the counter shaft sensor is different and wont fit. The car won't function properly with just one. I've been running these test by swapping the compatible sensor.

This weekend ill measure the frequency of the original and new sensors running at around 3k rpm in frist gear and see if they are at the same frequency. If they are i will proceed to build something that will give me sine wave.

This swap has been attempted by a few and all except one shop come out with the not speedo working. It's just they aren't will to share how and want 3k for a "swap kit"

Thanks for the all the help. I'll keep you updated.

-Rich

Reply to
newsrichie

Right- an audio step-up transformer to which the sensor is coupled by a capacitor to block DC will probably work into a high impedance ECU input.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I went to several flammkuchen restaurants in the Bühlertal area (Black Forest). Everything from pizza-like meat dishes to fruit desserts.

I don't have the young man's "pig-out" syndrome anymore, but I still don't lose weight... must be the wine ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Nah, the only time I engage in flaming is when cooking on the good old Weber. But then it's probably called flame-broiling ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Very close, it is "Flammkuchen". IIRC a specialty from the Alsace-Lorraine region, probably made with dough similar to pizza dough. It is delicious but for some reason my stomach can't tolerate Flammkuchen, Quiche or Lasagna. I like it, consequently eat a lot and then get sick.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Rich,

Have you tried a car newsgroup? It sounds like this problem can't be just yours, considering that transmissions do go bad from time to time and it seems in this case they only have replacements with digital sensors.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The sine wave probably isn't essential for your speedometer to recognise the signal it may however requre zero crossing (that the signal goes negative and positive)

if a simple capacitor isn't enough, It seems to me that a max-232 could do what you probably need, you'll need to supply it with 5v, and your 5v sensor signal...

A bigger problem would be if your new transmission's sensor gives a different number of pulses per mile and your speedometer can't compensate enough... have you asked around the speed shops, I'm sure hot-rodders are often in this bind.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

that seems pretty high,4Khz at 1mph translates to 400Khz at 100mph are you sure it's not 40Hz at 1mph

AIUI these senders usually just sense the passage of the teeth on one of the cogs attached to the output shaft 40Hz feels about right...

.-------------> 5V or 12V or whatever suppluy it's | supposed to have supply ---' || sender out --------||--------> odometer sensor input +|| 100uF ground 25V It may need a resistor on the sender side of the sensor to 12V or to ground.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

you'll probably need a bigger cap, try 1 to 100uF

BTW: what's the resistance of the old reluctor pickup?

--

Bye.
   Jasen