Zif socket recommendations

I am looking at 3 different styles of Zif sockets made by Aries in the Mouser Electronics catalog:

The three styles are the Universal, the low pro and the the IC socket. Other than the obvious differences in these sockets, can anyone recommend which one would be most suitable for holding a 40 pin Microchip PIC?

I don't have access to a good electronics shop in my area where I can put my hands on these, so I am unsure what pitfalls to avoid. I am an absolute beginner at electronics, so any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

B.C.

Reply to
Bill Carson

Why do you want to put it in a ZIF socket? Why not used ISP/ICD and put it in a cheap socket?

The 'universal' type allows you to plug in a 300-mil wide IC package such as the PIC 28-pin DIP package. This is useful for such things a programmers that would accept a variety of chips. It's also got a nice easy-to-operate handle. I think the others are more for occassional use than for heavy use (eg. in a programmer).

But they will all hold a DIP-40 (600mil) package and make contact to the pins, the question you need to answer is *why*.

Here are a couple more to consider:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I am building a programmer for the PIC, but I agree an ICSP setup may be the way to go eventually.

Yes, I wonder if the non-universal sockets would wear out over time. Without being able to actually use one before I buy, it is difficult to judge their mechanical reliance.

The answer is a programmer, and for prototyping. Thanks for your response.

B.C.

Reply to
Bill Carson

In which case, the Textool style is the standard. BTW, if you're retrofitting, note that the pins typically require unusually large holes for a socket.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That is the impression I get from looking at a lot of the DIY programmers around the web. But for the cost of one 3M Textool, I could get three Aries Lo-Pro styles. Plus, the Lo Pro has test points for all the pins, which may be useful. But, I am so new at the field that I don't really know what is a pro or a con with most components.

unusually large

Good point, as I was wondering how easy it would be to use these sockets in a breadboard, or use one Zif for several projects by setting it in another standard socket.

Thanks,

B.C.

Reply to
Bill Carson

what

in

another

I've found that the ZIF in a breadboard is iffy. the pins on a ZIF aren;t that long. it's easy to rock the ZIF left and right. The ZIF takes up a lot of breadboard space and what you have is 1 column of holes on left and right of the ZIF. You have get a DIP socket , stick that on the ZIF socket and then into the breadboard. Now the ZIF will make contact and stay in the breadboard.

Reply to
EN