will this alarm go off if I move it??

Dont think so, a reed relay is not a movement detector.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Vibration detectors use a relatively heavily weighted mass that moves easily and is held in contact by a relatively light (eg. spring) force. You'd have to whack a reed very hard to get it to open, and maybe hard enough to destroy it to get it to close.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Tell us exactly what you want. Be very specific. Then you may get what you want.

Reply to
James Thompson

Yes it will, if you move it far enough. It is a reed switch and a separate magnet. You put the magnet near the alarm circuit. When you separate them, the alarm goes off. If you move both the magnet and the switch together without changing the distance between them, it won't go off.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yeah, what James said. History shows that "I want something to scare the cat when she jumps on the counter" gets a lot more responses (and maybe even solutions you hadn't thought of) than "I want an alarm to go off when something moves", especially when you can't or won't define "something" or "moves".

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was concerned about the vagueness, once that perceptive question was made by Jame Thompson earlier, when the OP tried his first attempt to launch this in a new thread.

He asked "Does it need the ability to go bang?".

That got me thinking, and the only things we know are that the thing is size-limited to a 'box' about 3" thick, 10" long, i.e. a size that could be easily stowed in a laptop computer bag. We also know that mercury switches were vehemently rejected, and I considered the possibility that if those were in such a bag, and if such a bag were passed through the x-ray machine at a customs checkpoint, the dense liquid metal might be highly detectable, and suggestive of a triggering device.

I didn't speculate any further before I decided that in the absence of a straight answer from the OP, I wasn't going to assist. I recommend similar caution to others. :) Fortunately, I am seeing such caution.

http://save.nazanin.googlepages.com/home
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan