What's a CD3197?

Asian-made? A lot of Asian hifi components use custom ICs, manufacturer-specific. You'll be lucky to find any documentation at all. Your best bet is probably to trace the circuitry around it - it'll either be something like a bias amplifier or head preamp, or some sort of control circuit. In any event, your odds of finding a replacement (if that's what you're hoping) are infinitesimal.

Try on sci.electronics.repair, those guys are sometimes remarkably good at identifying these chips. Tell them the name of the piece of equipment the board came out of.

Reply to
Walter Harley

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:38:12 -0400, "Jim" put finger to keyboard and composed:

IIRC, the "CD" prefix was used by RCA for their digital ICs. Some Google references show Harris Semiconductor as the manufacturer, but then RCA was bought by GE, GE was bought by Harris, and Harris was acquired by Intersil.

Is the cassette player a "logic" deck?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Close. GE bought RCA' semiconductor division and Intersil at different times. Harris then bought GE's semiconductor division and ran it under their name for a while, then spun it off under the Intersil name, which was the only semiconductor company name that they owned.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I ran across a CD3197 DIP on a cassette player board I am salvaging, but can't seem to find a data sheet or even a description of this chip on the web.

What is this? Where can I find the data sheet?

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

Of course, the unit/board often provides it's own information. If I finb something especially desirable but some bit of information is missing, I'll save the chunk of board, or sometimes even the whole board, rather than end up with unknown components without data. From time to time, we have people asking about filters they've taken off boards, but tracing out the circuit at the input and output of the filter would at least provide information about the needed termination. Likewise, an unknown IC, because it's a consumer IC and those don't show up in the standard databooks, one can trace the board and get how to use the IC (or just extract the whole chunk of board and use it intact). It's always useful to look up ICs like that with the NTE (or was it ECG that bought NTE?) replacement guide, just in case they have some rudimentary information. SOmetimes it's useful just to know something is a motor driver when you were looking for an audio IC, because if it's not what you want then you can just junk it. The NTE guide, if there is a match, will show the pinouts but not the circuitry, so again one needs the board to figure out the wiring.

And as you point out, keeping track of the model number and manufacturer helps, because someone might have information via that route.

Micahel

Reply to
Michael Black