Decoupling capacitor selection

I have to admit to being a bit ignorant about the various types of capacitors available, for example NPO, X7R, etc. I believe these abbreviations refer to the type of dielectric used, which influences the properties of the capacitor. Can anybody point me to a key for deciphering these codes, preferrably with some information on what the relevant properties of the different types are?

And what is the best type of capacitor/dielectric for basic power supply decoupling/bypassing on digital logic ICs (e.g., microcontrollers) with clock speeds up to about 50MHz. I have often seen datasheets recommend two different types of capacitor in parallel

-- is this to eliminate harmonics that would be present with only one type? If I have a single big 47uF capacitor between the Vcc and ground planes somewhere on the board, and one 0.1uF capacitor at every Vcc pin, does this solve the problem? What dielectric types or other specs should each of those have?

I'm specifically looking for surface-mount chip-type capacitors, if that matters. (I suppose the 47uF should be a can-style through-hole capacitor, presumably electrolytic?)

Thanks for any advice,

--
Randall
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Randall Nortman wrote (in ) about 'Decoupling capacitor selection', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

Any data sheet on ceramic capacitors will give you that sort of information. Basically NPO dielectric doesn't change its properties with temperature very much, but it has a lowish permittivity, so large value caps are physically large. X7R properties vary a lot with temperature, but it has higher permittivity. There are dielectrics worse than X7R for variation; use only with great caution.

Not directly in parallel, because this causes the smaller value to resonate with the inductance of the larger one, creating a high impedance just where it can cause most trouble. An exception is when the values are VERY different , e.g. 100 uF and 100 pF.

Not harmonics, but frequencies in general that are above the self-resonant frequency of the larger value. Once again, a good data sheet will show you all this.

Probably; the 47 uF doesn't want to be close up to one of the 0.1 uF, because of the parallel resonance thing. A few cm of track between them usually is OK.

The 47uF is likely to be an aluminium electrolytic. Choose a rated voltage at least 20% above the voltage you will apply, but not 100% higher. The 0.1uF can be X7R ceramic types, unless you are looking for a wide temperature range. Data sheet, again.

You can get SMD aluminium electrolytics if you want.

John Woodgate

You can chack cap manufacturers for specs, but for bypassing, it doesn't matter. Any 0.1 uF ceramic cap is fine, with short leads or surface mount preferred for fast logic.

There's no reason to do that. Superstition.

That sounds fine. Dielectric type doesn't matter. If you have a multilayer board with solid Vcc and ground planes, you need fewer caps, one per each 2-8 chips maybe. I know people who don't use bypasses at all, and their boards work, too.

Yes, one buggish aluminum cap is good for low-frequency load steps and general damping. Don't use tantalums... they explode.

Everybody has their own strong opinions on bypassing, because almost anything you do will work.

John

FYI, something I picked up from reading on the subject ... when selecting a bypass capacitor value, rise time is the key variable (not the clock speed). The significance here being that the device may run at a "slower" clock, but have a rise time that's characteristic of a much faster clock. I gather the implication being that the fast rise time requires a fast change of current into the device.

Perhaps someone can comment on this approach, and how it changes considering that: a) rise times are only stated for the outputs (which I gather might use a different technology from the guts of the chip) b) rise time internally could be faster than the output rise times, especially for chips that use many internal clock cycles per instruction or are clocked slower than rated (i.e., outputs would be able to transition less often and might have slower rise times as a result)

You can get SMT electrolytics. They're mini cans with pads on the bottom instead of leads. Recommendations I see suggest placing a larger electrolytic where the power comes into the board, to offset any effects from the connecting cable.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

Hello Randall,

X7R is fine for that purpose. Just don't select the smallest possible size capacitor for a particular uF and voltage rating. It might have a dielectric that is special and few or only one manufacturer. Many of us have been burned by the Z5U shortage a couple decades ago. IIRC a chemical plant somewhere in Asia suffered an explosion and shut down. In consequence lots of SMT caps weren't available at all in large quantities.

As John mentioned you might want to reconsider if your 47uF is a tantalum. Many of those have some rather unpleasant pathologies. Electrolytics, too, in that they dry out over time but at least they have a lower tendency to explode.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

When you are dealing with a board full of expensive logic, using the axial aluminium cased Tantalum Electrolytics, used in conjunction with a power supply with crowbar or foldback facility, is a form of protection for the logic devices. This is because the tantalum capacitor will go short circuit if the power rail voltage rises above the voltage rating of the capacitor by a small margin. Better to loose a tantalum than loose lots of expensive logic. Of course, if you are using a power supply that does not foldback or have crowbar shutdown then the tantalum will explode, as would any other electrolytic under such circumstances.

It is worthwhile c> FYI, something I picked up from reading on the subject ... when

It is, essentially, the di/dt slope that becomes the major headache. That is why you need decoupling capacitors that are suited to the application at hand. Fortunately, the selection can be done with a fairly broad brush approach. Important factors can be ACR (yes, even for decoupling capacitors in high frequency/high slew rate systems) and self inductance.

Let the chip designer worry about inside the chip. You will find that the I/O pins are usually heavier duty than anything they have done inside. Check the chip datasheet for reccommendations about decoupling.

Inside the chip, even if the rise times are faster, the currents on the silicon are much less. It is a combination of current and speed of change that pulls the bigger spikes.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Hello Paul,

With all due respect, placing 6V tantalums in a 5V logic circuit can lead to lots of field failures. I would never do that. Tantalums under a hefty current load (which they often are in RAM banking scenarios) need to be overrated for voltage by a factor of 2-3. Else they can explode. I have seen whole batteries of tantalums blasting off and the VCC rail remained completely unimpressed. It was like popcorn.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You assumed I meant 6V tantalum whereas I hadn't even mentioned a specific voltage. They do come in a wider range of voltage ratings than that though. You have to select appropriately to the task. I also said in conjunction with a power supply that has crowbar shut-down or full voltage and current foldback facilities (so as to minimise dissipated power in the event of a shorted power rail pair). I do agree, though, that selection should be very carefully considered.

For those that remain unsure about this aspect, just use the ordinary aluminium electrolytics and ceramic capacitor sets.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Going Forth Safely ....EBA. http://www.electric-boat-association.org.uk/********************************************************************
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

That's all we need to read.

John

I would tend to think of it the other way round - pick the smallest package you are happy working with (0805 works well, or 0603 for higher density) and then find the largest capacitance value in that package in your voltage, price and availability range. If you are doing high speed stuff, aim for low ER dialectics.

The frequency response of a capacitor is mainly dependant on its dialectic and its package, not the capacitance. So there is no advantage in using a mixture of small capacitors - that idea is mainly a hangover from the old through-hole days when the packages were significantly different. As a rule of thumb, 100 nF caps work fine for bypassing - there is seldom need to go lower.

As for the number you need, it depends on the type of components you use, their speeds and current requirements, and the quality of your power and ground routing. If you have good routing (power planes, or at least polygons and thick tracks), then you don't need as many - there is certainly no requirement for one cap per VCC pin. If your power routing is not so solid, add a few more capacitors, and scatter them around the card.

In addition, you need bulk capacitors as part of your power supply, which are normally placed near the supply regulators or power connectors. If you have a lot of high power fast components (such as fpgas, or fast micros or memory), you might also want a few local bulk capacitors of around 10uF here and there to reduce the size of the low-frequency currents back to the power supply.

But as other posters have said, everyone has their own theories. Unless you are talking about many hundreds of MHz, or very high resolution analogue, there is a great variety of methods for successful decoupling capacitors.

David

Reply to
David Brown

Why? The plate and contact geometry determine ESL, not the dielectric.

John

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Decoupling capacitor selection', on Thu, 15 Sep 2005:

The dielectric determines the distance between terminations, for a given dielectric thickness set by mechanical strength issues, and that determines the inductance.

John Woodgate

In real life, there's hardly any difference in esl between caps of a given size. All 0805's are around 0.7 nH.

John

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Larkin wrote (in ) about 'Decoupling capacitor selection', on Thu, 15 Sep 2005:

YES, that's because the inductance is determined by the distance between the terminations. One company now makes 0508 caps, with correspondingly lower inductance.

John Woodgate

Hello David,

That can be a recipe for trouble. Mostly in the form of purchasing guys running down the hallway towards your office because they can't get enough of the caps or the things went on allocation. If you max out the capacitance versus size factor at a given voltage the number of available manufacturers can shrink dramatically. Even down to one, and occasionally down to zero ...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The OP was thinking about a system with clock frequencies up to 50 MHz. In a 50 MHz square wave, there is a strong harmonic at 150 MHz. At 150 MHz, the 0.7 nH would represent a 0.7 ohm inductive reactance.

A wire (or PCB track) would have an inductance about 1 nH/mm, thus the inductive reactance at 150 MHz would be 1 ohm/mm of PCB track.

Since badly decoupled boards work after all, the chips must tolerate much larger voltage dips than specified :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Yes. The other thing that makes fast boards work is the capacitance between the pcb planes, which handle the fast stuff. The bypass caps just help out on the slower domains. On a decent multilayer board, it doesn't much matter where you put the bypass caps.

John

Hello Paul,

They might until some day a glitch happens because this time bits 2, 4 and 7 were flipping simultaneously which they usually don't ...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Perhaps I should have said "type of capacitor", rather than just the dielectric. In my (admittedly limited) understanding, the dielectric does affect the ESR, but that may be indirectly - with different dielectrics, the capacitor may be built physically differently (perhaps more or less compact vertically, for instance). I think ESL is dominated by the leads and connections (which also affect ESR).

Either way, when doing high speed decoupling, you'll want to look at capacitors with lower ESR and ESL. You might decide it is cheaper and easier with several more standard capacitors, but it is certainly something to think about.

Reply to
David Brown

That's always important (and often underestimated by developers...). But that's why I wrote "in your voltage, price and *availability* range" :-)

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown