SN75ALS193J vs 74LS193N ?

Just curious how these two chips differ - can a 75ALS193J be used in place of a 74LS193N?

Uses will vary, but generally the circuit boards that I would use them on are about 20 years old.

Thanks

Reply to
max-man

Hello from the Eighth Doctor In a word, "Don't!". It happens that one chip, the SN74LS193 is a specie of U/D counter. The 75ALS193J is a specie of I/O device and is a Quad Differential Line Receiver. And yes I looked it up.

You can cause damage to the counter by doing this.

Incidentally TI loves to give out free samples.

--
Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net
Reply to

Line

Thanks for the info. :)

But presumably not parts they no longer make? :)

Reply to
max-man

On the off chance that you mis-typed and they're both "74", they'd be ceramic vs plastic packaging. If you typed correctly, they're completely different families. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

I figured he mistyped. But if they are both 74 type devices, there's more than package. One is low power schottky, the other is advanced low power schottky.

I'm not sure whether there's a compatibility issue in mixing the two.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black