Seeking schematics/plans for decimal to binary (microswitch/relay) selector/controller

te:

that well

can" than

,

the

it

in

he

elling

on

And what do you expect your readers to learn from that web-site?

Like I said, English spellings are derived from one of six different sets of rules for doing that. Noah Webster just switched the spelling of a lmited number of words from one set of rules to another. This doesn't represent a significant or particularly useful simplification. Serious spelling reform would involve fixing on one set of rules and using that set without exception

Noah Webster's changes aren't "better" in any practical sense - Americans don't learn to read or write better or faster than English speakers in other countries who use the traditional spellings.

You introduced the subject of new words - which strikes me as totally irrelevant to Noah Webster's contribution (such as it was) - and your suggestion that the OED might be "frozen" did imply that you needed an exposition of this well known and banal aspect of language.

Since there are six sets of pronounciation rules for written English, all that Webster was doing was switching from one set of rules to another - his dictionary still contains examples of words spelled/ pronounced according to all six sets of rules, so his corrections were partial and arbitrary.

I didn't claim that he was a charlatan - he only had to be idiosyncratic and ill-informed to behave as he did and it is possible that he never noticed that he was freezing out U.K. publishers, though he seems to have been too much a publisher for that to be all that likely.

He died in 1843, so it wouldn't have worked for him either.

/

That's funny - everybody else's 1964 Volkwagen had a boot/trunk under the hood, because the engine/motor was in the back of the car.

None of them showed where the hood was supposed to be fitted on the car, and none of the hoods I saw had the ventilation slots I seem to remember seeing in the engine covers on the Beetles I knew.

No, it doesn't - according to them both "bonnet" and "hood" can refer to external protective cowls.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

re

nto

rly

Language reflects the way people use it - we automatically let language reflect that, since our use of words is entirely driven by our urge to say what we mean in such a way that other people will understand what we mean.

Organisations that attempt to reform or purify languages are effective as King Canute was when he told the tide to stop rising.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

example.net:

"

h,

ll

at

y.

People do understand words which are spelt unconventionally, but they do understand them somewhat more slowly than they understand them when spelt conventionally, and they do tend to regard unconventional spellings as wrong, and as evidence that the author is either stupid or poorly educated.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

are

into

derly

t.

Sadly, any attempt to impose a "standard" language is doomed to fail - humans are perfefctly capable of inventing their own languages if they aren't satisfied with the one they've got.

Adults invent pidgins, which do tend to be crude and inadequate, but children invent creoles, which are complete languages.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news:bcf5961a-e7ed-40c8-ae06- snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Trehe are cnncvioing dtisnmatreoons taht wtnirig lkie tihs lavees the sntenece prfteecly inelibligtle. :) Perhaps the spellings that give most trouble are those with unexpected start and end letters. I also suspect that as the maximum human capacity for instant grouping (unless you're a Beduoin herder) tends to be around 7 items per group, that words longer than 7 letters might also be troublesome.

I'm a great fan of King Canute. He found his courtiers' demands so intractably silly that he set up that little act to show them how daft they were. History shows that HE was stupid, but is that history, or a later revision of it by a majority who couldn't admit to themselves that they'd been shown up by a smartarse? :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

--
That English isn't, pure-and-simple, a single language.  Ever since
we left England, American and British English have been evolving in

Taken one step further, Australian English is different from both
American and British English and I suspect each language will
continue to evolve as the needs/wants of its users change over time.
Reply to
John Fields

Oddly enough, the differences in the spoken language on either side of the pond are smaller than the regional differences between the North and South of England - I've never had any trouble understanding what an American speaker had to say, while I have found people speaking Scouse - the dialect of Newcastle-on-Tyne - rather difficult to follow. All languages have regional differences but as long as the speakers find one another mutually comprehensible it's still one language - though the linguist's rule of thumb, that a language is a dialect with an army and a navy is nicely illustrated by the distinction between Swedish, Norwegian and Danish.

Norway became independent of Sweden in 1905

den_in_1905

Paradoxically, while Dutch is officially a single language spoken both in the Netherlands and the Fleming provinces of Belgium, in Belgian progams shown on Dutch TV, the Flemish Dutch is usually under-titled to help the Dutch understand the Fleming pronunciations.

Australian English does have its own dictionary, the Macquarie dictionary of Australian English

It doesn't go in for spelling reform, though it does differe from the OED in listing "realise" as the more common spelling of the word "realize".

It is scarcely a simplication to end up with half the world using "colour" and the other half "color".

n.

Spelling is a mechanism for representing the spoken language as text - it has no perceptible effect on the subtleties of the spoken language. People have looked for such effects and they don't seem to exist.

The point being that you can invent a hypothetical time-saving to justify Noah Webster's meddling? Americans don't - in fact - type better or faster than English speakers who use the OED spellings. Copy-typing is an obsolete skill and everybody else types at a rate that is determined by the speed at which they can think up the text, where a letter here or there doesn't make any difference at all.

And where does that mention new words? If Noah Webster had confined himself creating a dictionary which included words and word usages peculiar to the U.S.A. nobody would have had anything to object to. I was objecting to his amateurish and half-baked efforts at spelling reform.

It is useful to have deprecated and archaic words in a dictionary - precisely because they are no long in common use, people find it necessary to consult a dictionary when they run into them in old texts.

Arbitrary and half-baked spelling reform is the last thing you want in your dictionary - precisely because it makes it more difficult to deal with old or foreign text.

That doesn't make him a charlatan. A charlatan intends to deceive.

My claim was that Noah Webster became a spelling reformer by immortalising his own spelling mistakes, and opted to persist with them when he realised that they were mistakes, on the basis that as they were American mistakes. an American Nationalist had a duty to use them to squeeze out British publishers from his American market. A self-serving stance, but one that he got away with.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

--
As far as the spoken language goes, that may be true.

However, when it comes to written English, there have been many
occasions when you responded inappropriately to written American
English and/or seemed to have entirely missed the point.
Reply to
John Fields

:

ts

er,

act

You are in no position to complain about inappropriate responses from other people.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Oops. Sorry - you are quite right. It's along time since I've heard either.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Where else would an antique prefer to be?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Like every antique, I'd prefer to be less antique, but that isn't an availablle option.

John Field's problem is that he doesn't appreciate that written language is conservative because it provides access to an enormous mass of historical documents. Why should he - he clearly never reads any of them.

The Chinese are perhaps the most extreme case. The written language is used to represent a number of mutually unintelligible spoken languages, and doesn't do the job all that well

The ideographic characters are difficult to learn and people tend to forget characters that they don't see too often - alphabetic - phoneme- based - writing systems are much easier to acqure and easier to retain, but the Chinese can't throw out their rotten writing system without losing access to their historical documents.

Noah Webster's spelling reforms - such as they were - didn't help anybody enough so you'd notice, and marginally impaired American access to the body of English language documents.

John Fields claims that eliminating the redundant "u" in "colour"and similar words makes an appreciable and worthwhile to the speed with which you can type, but I'm sure that he doesn't use a Dvorak keyboard, which would make a much larger difference.

The fact that it has never become popular, illustrates the fact that typing speed as such isn't particularly important.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman